Considering Leaving the US

From what has been going on in the US, it feels like there are no protections at all which is nothing new. Covid just had to reveal the cracks that were always there.

My partner and I are considering moving out, but our plan A would be to stay with family in the mid west and maybe start something there. However I am hooked on plan B which is to live somewhere that doesn’t have inflated housing, lethal racism, and inaccessible opportunities.

We have seen videos of Americans who moved out and are much happier in other countries so this is a big plus for us.

If we do plan to move out, I will be considering designing my own collections or collaborating on making food business.

5 Likes

I love this idea to move overseas. It’s not good in the middle of the country if you want to stay in the apparel business…

4 Likes

@Needleninja where are you thinking about? The thought has crossed my mind too.

3 Likes

Either Vietnam or South Africa since those places have better decent living. It also easier to start businesses there.

2 Likes

Yeah im familiar with the lack of apparel industries since ive lived in Ohio myself.

2 Likes

It’s appalling that the US provides basically no protections for workers, other than those in unions. In addition, the federal anti-discrimination laws are easy for companies to get around. A friend works for a large global tech company. She recently had to lay off people in the US & UK. In the US, they were advised 30 days in advance of their lay-off date. They were given 1 month’s severance pay, regardless of how many years they had worked for the company. (One person had 23 years). In contrast, those in the UK were notified of the pending lay-off, and subsequently have 5 opportunities to lobby to remain in their position. After the final meeting, the lay-off date is set for 90 days later. They are given 3 months severance upon departure.
It is demoralizing to feel that as a worker you are so dispisable. This country puts too much emphasis on money and profitability instead of treating people fairly and with respect.

5 Likes

I am 100% with you. I’ve been trying to move out of the US over to Europe for a year now. It’s a bit tougher now with the pandemic and the travel ban but I’m determined to live in a more civilized environment. This country is no longer high level and I’d have a happier life in Belgium. Good luck to you!

3 Likes