Still furloughed? Or unemployed?

Over a year later with covid still happening:

Anyone still unemployed or furloughed, or never heard back from the last company they worked for?

Still can’t get a new job in fashion with your resume? Being harassed by recruiters showing you the same jobs you found yourself online?

Unable to pay rent or bills, or had to move out from not being able to afford your place? What’s everyone been up to, and how have you been dealing with this?

Got fully vaccinated and now still can’t find a job?

4 Likes

Yep. Unemployed and I’m 58! I don’t get any responses when I apply for jobs.

6 Likes

Same, still unemployed for almost a year furloughed April 2020 and laid off July 2020. I received a small severance small bc it did not reflect my 15 years of service. The job search in the industry is the absolute worse. I have experienced the following: 1)apply no responses, 2) apply response for an interview then ghosted,3) interviewed ghosted no follow up, 4)interviewed 3 plus times ghosted and then rejections, however continue to see the jobs posted after rejections claiming they filled the position. It’s tough and the unsolicited advise from others to “try another field or industry”.however they misunderstand its easier said than done. Other fields are risk adveverse and most companies want someone that “can hit the ground running” Even in these interviews I have been rejected for the product category sweater vs. knits and women’s etc… or active apparel vs women’s apparel. Which is all ridiculous. When I am confident I can do the job!!! Thanks for letting me vent. Good Luck to all on your job search!!! PS FULLY VAXXED but I have not been asked…

6 Likes

I am sure you have gotten this advice already but allow me to say it again. In the recovery of the pandemic in fashion there is stiff competition for every job (the employer wants 100% match to their needs) Additionally employers have taken advantage of the situation and lowered salaries.

Apply for a job is not enough any longer. You need to try and connection with someone internally (linkedin or cold email) to at the very least get your resume seen.

For the positions where interviews have happened and no movement further those cannot be helped. I have had plenty of interviews and continue to where positions are put on hold, reconfigured or gone to internal candidates.

It’s super challenging but we must keep pushing.

Better days ahead

5 Likes

Was laid off last May and told that there might be a possibility of coming back in 6 months but no guarantees. I was then hired back in July. In February of 21 they shut down the entire US based Product Dev team except VP and one director.
Had 3 interviews with one company right away then ghosted. Does not look like they have filled the position.
Had a several instant rejections from the robots on some applications.
Just started hearing back from jobs I applied to in MARCH mid-May.
The systems that didnt kick me out right away (guessing an actual human saw them) are now telling me “no thanks”.
Have had five companies show real interest with 5 first interviews:
2 have not responded since then.
1 has been super active.
1 has been medium active.
And I now have a 3 month consulting contract with the 5th. This one is where a former colleague works and who made the connection with his director for me.

I have tried to be more active on linked in and now have had 6 recruiters reach out to me there.
2 jobs were definitely not for me
1 was for me but the recruiter was odd
1 was offering way to little money - they have since reposted the job with a 10K uptick
and the other 2 I have scheduled zoom meetings with.

I also reworked the hell out of my resume.
Bot version(aka the soviet block of resume’s per Chris here) and a pretty version. I think that made a huge difference.

7 Likes

I only recently got some part time work, ampersand.bs. I am 61 and when I apply for any job online, I never get a response. I got this part time freelance gig through a personal connection. Good luck to you!

1 Like

Still unemployed. I accepted a part-time freelance job in February hoping it would lead to a long term position, four days in I offered to lower my hourly rate to $35 hour as a training rate courtesy for the first month to get familiar with their PLM system, my manager accepted. In the fourth week they turned around and decided they didn’t have the budget to continue, in line with my hourly increasing to $50/hour as agreed before starting. In declaring this part time work to the EDD it has also messed up my UI payments with 8 weeks ‘pending’ (last payment received April 22nd) after sending two emails that haven’t been responded to, I called several times last week to learn that my separation reason is considered inconsistent/fraudulent in choosing ‘fired/discharged due to Covid 19’ (because I was not an employee) and waited for another 2 hours to speak with a human, who informed that I have to wait to be interviewed and to look out for a letter advising when this is likely to happen. I worked for 14 days and invoiced $3600…it was not worth it. I am 54…and I don’t know what is next beyond September. I do know that I’ve never been a fit in corporate coming from a predominantly freelance background, even though I’ve worked in global locations. With over 25 years in the industry (18 years in a creative capacity) since moving to the SF Bay area in 2010 I’ve been forced to transition to technical design, and this amounts to 5 years experience. So I’m over qualified for creative roles (sans management experience) and under qualified for technical design. Any ideas appreciated…

7 Likes

Age discrimination in the fashion industry is a BIG thing. Even if you are up to date on computer skills your salary expectations don’t fit the job typically.

7 Likes

Sadly still unemployed.
Trying to be optimistic but I sure do miss working.

6 Likes

That is just awful! One of the reasons i was weary about taking on freelance work and this current 3 month contract.

Have you worked with anyone on how to refocus your resume? Chris who runs this page gave me a couple of really could suggestions along with running it by a few of my friends in the industry.
I am 48 and technically have only been in apparel for 6-7 years ( was a theatrical pattern maker before that with a bunch of other random stuff mixed in to pay the bills)

In case you havent already - it might also help is to rework your linked in version of your resume. I also started joining every group possible related to our industry plus made connections to people i was barely connected to through other people or companies i had worked with. I have had three interviews come from recruiters who found me on linked in because i was connected to a fit model they all worked with. No job from them yet BUT I am moving through the interview process on all three.
Also most of the jobs i applied to are not local - many companies are still considering remote work for at least another year.

fingers crossed for you! it is a crazy time.

3 Likes

Age discrimination is a BIG thing. I have heard that fashion companies aren’t hiring anyone over age 40, regardless if in a front-facing position ( like sales) or in the tech & production areas where practical experience is important. Part of it is because if they see that you have any serious experience, they think you are expensive. Well yes, good skills will cost a bit more than no skills, duh. Fortunately I have a bit of freelance work (yes, through my connections) but I doubt I will get a full-time job with benefits in the industry again, and if I do it will probably be at half the salary I had before Covid struck. I still apply to any appropriate job listing, my resume does get past the ATS bots, and I do get callbacks from recruiters, but the job requirements (like master’s degree) for entry-level pay are just unrealistic. Salaries are in a race to the bottom. You may be better off continuing to freelance as there are a lot of new small companies & start-ups that can’t commit to full-time but need services that you can provide, and establish yourself a reputation as a reliable freelancer. The thing that really is problematic is what to do about health insurance, but employer-based healthcare is a national issue not a fashion issue. Good luck!

5 Likes

Oh I absolutely relate with you @Sweaterlife
Your response could have been written by me (I work in a different category but get all the same excuses why my skills can’t be used in a different one or even the same category). All confidence and success I built is gone and I feel like I’ll have to accept working min. wage despite the exp., 2 degrees. I’ve had plenty of interviews but no offers. Sometimes I feel like I’m cursed.

1 Like

Im thinking a different field is the way to go. This is gets away with too much because it is so competitive.

@Dutchyfan33 I’m sorry to hear that, you are not cursed. Unfortunately, It is the climate we are living in right now. I feel like all confidence in my skills and experience is lost too, I have been through rounds of interviews and then ghosted, like many out there. I am also resistant to switching fields since outside of the industry other fields are selective and require certifications and experience. We can only control our mindset and reaction to the way we receive this treatment. It also makes me think do I want to work for a company that would treat candidates so poorly, its an indication of their internal behavior. I experienced this at my last company, best to take it as a red flag and move on.

2 Likes

I have learned a few things in the last year and a half.

1. Many of the ads posted ask for a list of qualifications that is an ‘ideal’ list but if they find the right candidate they will teach you what you may not know. Often, it’s unrealistic to find someone that has all of the skills and experience that dovetails exactly into your company or the job advertised.
    Apply, focus on what you can bring of value to that company. You never know and you have nothing to lose.
  2. Be open to pivoting. Reach out to opportunities you see where you feel you can do good work even if it’s a different product category or job category. If you’re a designer and you have a sharp eye for creating programs that do well at retail, say that, give data, and reach out for product development roles in the categories and companies where you can make a difference. Sometimes, an employer wants a new viewpoint. Sometimes they can’t find exactly who they are looking for so they will take a chance on someone who has some of the key skills.
    3 Take classes. Learn. Identify areas where you can use your existing talents/ skills/experience and with additional skills can allow you to move into other areas. There are an enormous amount of online courses available now. Try different online classes, youtube videos, etc., until you narrow down what you find interesting. The textile industry is predominantly antiquated and those companies that are embracing new ideas and technologies are moving forward and will do well in the future. Embrace new ideas, think outside of the box.
    4 go for a walk. Breathe. Drink a fresh cup of coffee. We just came out of a scary, tough year. Make a Fresh start and be nice to yourself. There are other jobs, other industries, companies within our industry re-thinking their approach, tons of start ups looking for new ideas, and a huge number of print on demand companies, Etsy, Society 6, Spoonflower, etc. if you want to try something yourself or with a friend.
7 Likes

Hi Thank you for reminding me of the above. I need a gentle reminder every now and then. It has been difficult to pivot into another product category, (I do apply for these positions also) as most companies want to hire 100% of their description and expect candidates to check every box on their requirement list.
I am hoping since regulations are loosening up companies, will also loosen up and begin posting their positions. I have seen more activity in the last couple of weeks.
Fingers crossed I remain hopeful !!!

2 Likes

Good luck. I go through ups and downs, it’s been a very difficult year. Unprecedented. But I don’t want to waste time being unhappy, so I’m putting my energy into moving forward.

4 Likes

one of the most horrifying things I have seen is a massive drop in pay. Typical of the industry. Minimum wage or LESS. They have 2 years of graduates to pick from with no experience but are willing to get some. I think they will be treated very badly and replaced. I have also seen internships posted as jobs.

3 Likes

Well thanks for sharing everyone. I always feel better when I hear others complain of the same crap I’m going through. I’m so grateful for the unemployment and pandemic money but will be cut off soon as are most of you.
I think the pandemic was horrifying but offered alot of time to do whatever I felt like doing.
I started making mobiles obsessively. Found a store to sell them. Then made a slew of beaded bracelets which same store sold for me.
Started doing collage and a new magazine wants to print them. I don’t feel untalented anymore!
Just hoping that when the thing that I’m meant to do will find me. Before my house needs a new roof or heater. Fingers crossed…

3 Likes

Same boat. I’m still unemployed and super grateful for the pandemic money. I don’t see any advertised positions for my seniority level as everyone is hiring associate designers to cut costs. I am taking this downturn in my career and spinning it around to start my own small business. It’s both exciting and nerve wrecking to pivot into the business side of fashion, having little business experience as a creative designer. But I’m doing a business course to learn the ropes and connecting with many other aspiring entrepreneurs globally is teaching me to be less afraid. If I wasn’t forcefully unemployed, I wouldn’t be forced into trying anything new. Hoping this pivot of career with lead me to a better future.

2 Likes