What was the best company you ever worked for?

Hey there everyone! This is my first post, I’m excited to join this forum.

What are the best companies that you’ve worked for? Why were they so great - benefits, work life balance, good company culture? Tell us all about it!

(I am feeling a bit jaded after only 6 years in the industry as a designer and mostly terrible experiences. I am freelancing now and not sure if I should stay in the game. I would love some hope!)

4 Likes

Love the positivity!

I have been freelancing in the industry for 10 years. I freelanced in design at Victoria’s Secret. I LOVED it there! It was the best freelance job I’ve ever had! Pretty much all the people I worked with were the NICEST people I have EVER worked with! So sweet!! We all worked real hard, it was really rewarding to see pretty much everything you designed going into work. They are really into customer reviews and trying new things. They are so big on giving assistant designers full reign of designing. They don’t hold anything back from assistants. They have a great internship program as well. They give everybody a chance and fully utilize every skill and talent each person had. Some managers weren’t as pleasurable to work for, but for the most part it was amazing to work there. As a freelancer I helped assistants all the way to VP’s, I was shared all throughout the departments and I learned so much! I was let go due to no sales during covid. I have also worked for some smaller private label companies that were nice, one was Fashion Options (that was a while ago though). For the most part the fashion industry is not pleasant, can be very toxic, but if you stay in it long enough you’ll find your sweet spots.

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for your response! I actually met one of the long time product designers of VS through a family friend. She was so sweet and really talked up VS as a great place too. Its nice that they are open to trying new things and letting the younger designers have a go of it.

1 Like

I’ve been NYC industry past 13yrs.,
I used to joke with my coworkers whenever we venting about works we do saying, we would never find those best companies - nice people, nice work & life balance, nurturing from top down, understandable/smart management, etc,
the reason is, whoever works there, would never want to leave the company!!
means no new hiring,lol

1 Like

Yes, I’ve generally learned to avoid applying to places that always seem to have openings, because I assume they have a high turnover and bad work environment. I’ve heard people never leave places like Patagonia because of the excellent work conditions, benefits, work life balance, etc. But that’s just a rumor, I’d love to confirm it!

3 Likes

Hi @eileen! I have a family member who works for Patagonia. She said although it’s great in many ways, it still has the typical fashion pain points.
However, I can’t imagine it’s that bad from the perks we all hear about !

She has a very senior roll and might just be feeling the pressure of that.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the insider info!

I was spoiled as the best company I worked for was my first job out of college. B.U.M. Industries was such a fun, inclusive, well funded company. They paid well, offered great benefit packages and competitive salaries and raises. They’d send us on great trips to our factories in India, China, Israel, Taiwan and even better “inspirational shopping” trips to Europe. Granted, this was early 1990s and things haven’t been nearly as nice since then. I blame the bottoming out of the middle class, high housing prices and low wages - all making for less disposable income. The biggest issue IMHO are ‘disposable fast fashion’ brands that have spoiled customers into thinking $35 for a nice puffer coat is normal. They are killing normal brands, who aim for both quality fits and fabrics. Target, Walmart, H&M and others are all part of this. My advice is to try finding higher end niche market brands - Hiking, cycling, Tennis or others. You will run into less “fashion attitude” which infiltrates many ‘high fashion’ houses. Good luck!!

5 Likes

I have been in the industry since 1990. Worked for many companies. TJX was a great place to work. Caring and compassionate leaders and great entrepreneurial spirit.

1 Like

In the industry 8-9 years total and Victoria’s Secret was the best place. Especially if you are in the right teams.

1 Like