Is anyone happy in this industry?

I’m going to make the big move to NY soon. I’ve worked as a tailor for a couple years in the Midwest since graduating but I almost feel like fashion is dying. Should I not bother moving and pivot or do you see fashion improving once the economy gets better?

Bottom lie though, is anyone happy in this industry?

2 Likes

Forums like this one tend to collect bad experiences; people typically don’t post about their good days/bosses/jobs. :slight_smile:

The fashion industry can be very rewarding. Like any industry, the trick is finding the right company to work for.

As for dying, everyone has to wear clothes.

9 Likes

totally agree with @grandpoobah there are a lot of monsters in this business, but there are a lot of good people with limitless knowledge, experience and gifts in this business as well. Those are the ones to seek out, learn from and grow from.

Sometimes, you’re lucky and you land a great spot from the jump, sometimes you are not that lucky. Paying dues is real and it sucks, but that is when you have to remind yourself what your overarching plan is, why you chose this industry and where you are going.

This is a very small industry with less than 6 degrees of separation between us. Focus on yourself and the reputation you want to have and the type of leader you want to become. Learn from everyting and everyone. Treat the janitor with the same respect you treat the CEO. Create and inspire beauty,

This is one of the few industries that probably won’t ever die, because, as @grandpoobah said, everyone wears clothes.

5 Likes

I think it depends where you end up. I’ve worked for some amazing company’s and have been very happy. I am currently working for one such company.but I have also worked for very bad ones. Take your time and find a good place and I think it will be a fulfilling move. ( one designers opinion)

5 Likes

NYC is still the best place to be if you want to gather the most experience. You could still be a custom tailor and not work for any large company. Defining “success” on your own terms = happiness.

4 Likes

I have been in this industry as a designer for 35 years, starting with design school and 12 years in NYC. I then left and came to LA and worked for over 20 years of which I was in and out of design jobs every 1-3 years getting let go. I never quit. I would have to live on my savings to get me to the next job, and the more money I made, the harder it was to find an equivalent job, especially in Los Angeles. Sometimes it would take a year to find a job, and sometimes it would take 18 months when I thought I was going to lose my house. Eventually I had to sell my house because of long-term unemployment now I live in an apartment in my 50s.

The only jobs that come my way anymore pay 1/3 of what I was making in my last job which in itself was a $25,000 per year pay cut over the job I had before that. I don’t take any of these jobs anymore, and ended up, moving into a completely different industry.

My advice to you is run, don’t walk. In Los Angeles it is particularly bad you end up designing for companies you don’t even like, with product you don’t relate to. You work for money, not enjoyment of the product and culture, if you can get it.

I find that China owning a lot of the brands has cheapened the market with copies that only require tech designers set up tech packs- no talent required.
While friends in other industries grew wealth through long term stability, I was sitting approaching 50 with almost no savings because I had to spend it all surviving in between jobs every time a division closed, a company sold, or massive restructuring was needed.

Find an industry in a non creative field that needs people.

2 Likes

WOW! I couldn’t agree more with what you just wrote here! I saw this thread and wanted so badly to put a positive spin on my career as a designer in Los Angeles, but this, unfortunately, has also been my experience. I had a good run, better than most; I also bought a house and, now in my 50s, have had to lease it out because I can no longer afford to live there because of job instability and declining wages. I also rent now and have spent my savings during the many downtimes, which are many!!! I could never “get ahead,” which has taken a toll on me.
cooketim10 My thoughts on NY are that my friends who chose to move there did do much better financially and did not have as many job changes as my friends who stayed in LA. That said, it still has been challenging for them too.

2 Likes

Curious to know what industry you moved into. I have been speaking to recruiters to help transition into something else using our skill sets. I would love to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

I tried designing jewelry under my own name for a year but it was far too competitive and stores only wanted to go through showrooms. I was doing all of the basic wire wrapping and stringing which they didn’t want-you can find that at any farmers market on a Sunday or crafts fair. I would have had to go back to school to learn soldering and metalsmithing to create the kind of fine jewelry needed for a showroom with no guarantees of success so I got my certifications and started a private health and wellness brand with various revenue streams I can create out of targeting my specific customer.
It pays less but it is guaranteed employment and good for me as I age. I can tailor it to fit my changing needs.

Oh I think I read on another thread explaining that you did that transition into fitness. I love that you figured out something that works better for you.
I am seriously looking to make a transition myself, at this point I would settle for something more stable and just started looking into other industries as I just got replaced with a younger designer that is working for 1/2 the amount as of last Friday. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one in this struggle this really gives me hope.

| Vetdesigner
October 17 |

• | - |

I tried designing jewelry under my own name for a year but it was far too competitive and stores only wanted to go through showrooms. I was doing all of the basic wire wrapping and stringing which they didn’t want-you can find that at any farmers market on a Sunday or crafts fair. I would have had to go back to school to learn soldering and metalsmithing to create the kind of fine jewelry needed for a showroom with no guarantees of success so I got my certifications and started a private health and wellness brand with various revenue streams I can create out of targeting my specific customer.
It pays less but it is guaranteed employment and good for me as I age. I can tailor it to fit my changing needs.

or reply to this email to respond.

[

Is anyone happy in this industry?
community.theschmatte.com

](Is anyone happy in this industry? - #9 by Vetdesigner)
Is anyone happy in this industry?community.theschmatte.com

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Find something you enjoy that you can do for the rest of your life as you go into your late 50s, 60s etc. Unfortunately the company benefits and 401k nonexistence with many companies in the fashion industry means I will never be able to retire. Fitness and creating my own online and live programs people subscribe to indefinitely, and working for myself ( no gyms or bosses), gives me a long path of employment.

I truly enjoyed working in this industry (design) when I was younger, in my 20’s and 30’s. I changed jobs regularly, in order to climb the ladder, so to speak, though I was at one job for 7 years which was the longest by far.
There were lots of perks, and it seemed like there were plenty of jobs to have and to move to, so I was able to get a very broad and diverse background, working in lots of different categories- juniors, contemporary, surf/skate, swimwear, apparel, sleep, etc. I got to travel a lot, which was something I really enjoyed. I went to sales meetings all over the US and got to work with brand managers and buyers, which gave me insight on the buying process and how to create more saleable designs. I also travelled overseas many times, both for comp shopping in europe/asia/australia, but also to factories throughout Asia. Those helped diversify my experience in product development and technical design, roles that have been more widely available as I have aged out of design.
And, yes, once I hit 40 I had aged out of design. Too old, too much experience, too expensive. You never think when you’re in your early 20’s and in design school that you are choosing a career that will kick you to the curb long before you are ready. Of course, when I was 22, I probably wouldn’t have listened anyway (who thinks about midlife/aging/401k/retirement plans at that age?) but I do wish I hadn’t been caught so unaware. While I am happy and grateful with what I have learned in fashion, and many of those were soft skills that can help you in many fields, I do believe in fashion agesim is especially harsh. Job positions don’t last long, as companies open and close and restructure at breakneck speed. You have to be prepared and adaptable to take on new roles, new positions, new locations even. At age 25, it’s fun. But as you get older, it’s very hard to have the stability and year-over-year economic growth that results in a positive career trajectory.
The fashion world is changing, and adding influencers and celebrities and 3D and ai are changing it further. There are roles in fashion where you are valued and paid for your experience level. I wouldn’t necessarily say “run” from this industry, because it has taught me a lot, sent me all over the world, and I’ve met some incredible people along the way. But also, be aware that this job probably doesn’t have the longevity you might be seeking at a later date.

over 50 here too, went from living high on the hog to close to zero…ageism in our industry…that is a cold hard fact

1 Like

Sadly, this is true.

1 Like

We all know there are many issues in small and big companies alike in this industry.
What is scary is not just that most people are unhappy but the fact that most owners and CEO’s just don’t care. A revolving door means little, there’s always another person looking for a job.
Most having been doing it their way for a very long time and they haven’t been challenged to do anything else.

1 Like