This website is depressing

I think this is more than cathartic. The thing about being abused in a work place is you start to believe it’s you. You start to feel badly about asking for more than $35 an hour, after being told something is your fault so many times, you start to wonder if maybe it is?

This website has been so validating for me in realizing it’s definitely not just me! I’ve gone from a terrible work situation to a much better career and salary and I’m finally feeling like I’m on a good path for the first time in 5 or more years. For me, knowing that we are all experiencing this same abuse gives me power to say “no” more. To insist on realistic wages in expensive cities.

I’m very thankful for this website. I think maybe you’re just focusing on the negative. I’m seeing so much positive and learning so much!

8 Likes

Yes, @ abc please expand on this friendly reminder - who is ‘we’? I’d like to learn more.

1 Like

Has anyone ever worked or interviewed with the OVED group? I was offered a technical designer position at the company towards the end of October. I had two virtual interviews and the third one was in person. Met VP of TD and head of HR and production. We all sat down went through my role and agreed on a salary which was very good pay, We even agreed on when I would start my new job. I was informed that I should expect the letter of the employment offer, great! I was so excited to have the job offer so i gave my two weeks notice the same day ( i was freelancing at this time), then i received an email on Sunday night from the head of HR telling me that, we are so sorry to inform you that unfortunately we are no longer be able to move forward with the position we discussed! The excuse was some sort of business interruption or business plan change.

I told them how could they do this to me and I had already given my two weeks’ notice!!! The OVED group turned it around blaming me, WE UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WOULD ADVISE ANYONE TO “RESIGN” OR “NOT TO RESIGN” it’s a matter of preference and it’s out of our jurisdiction!!! I was like FUCK OVED. The next day, I informed the VP of design at the place I was freelancing stating that I know I gave two weeks but I would like to stay on. He asked me what happened so I told him, but unfortunately, he accepted my resignation. Had not fo the loved group, I would still be working and looking for a full time work. Here I am without job or income because of OVED’s fuck ulp. I don;t know if my unemployment is going to get approved and I had to apply temporary rental assistance, it’s all mess because OVED grop’s fuck up.

I also notice, many employers aren’t willing to train a new employee as if it’s such a waste of time. They all think their jobs need someone with an IQ of 300 to do the job, For God’s sake this is not heart or brain surgery or trying to send a man to Mars and bring him back safely. It’s the clothing business, the 2nd most destructive industry after oil. Like the PLM system, I never had a chance to learn how to use it but no employer wants to train because of their attitude is if you should know this stuff if you want the job, they all forgot where they came from. If I could it all over again I wouldn’t be choosing fashion as my career. There are many people who are in the position of managers, which they shouldn’t be in. They all think they know how to handle their subordinates all they do is yell and scream, some of them even have mental issues.

4 Likes

What a terrible situation. I hate to hear that they did this to you.

1 Like

Thank you, this whole industry is going down the toilet. I am not saying all companies are like I described and luckily,I did;t have to deal with a lot of managers who tend to yell and scream at other employees that’s very demoralizing to a person, it’s completely different from constructive criticism. I hope by sharing this, if you ever have a job offer especially if it’s from OVED group or a well-paying job, make sure you get a written agreement for an employment offer before give two weeks notice to your employer because lip service is cheap.

3 Likes

I had an experience where my manager at one Jeanswear group and someone I reported to at Theory say that I’m overly sensitive just because I spoke up for myself.

2 Likes