This website is depressing

Can you expound on this please?

1 Like

Expand on the tech jobs in fashion comment? There’s positions called IT Business Analysts that bridge the gap between the business side and the technical side. They work with the business to figure out and a present a technical solution to a business problem (a new report, a new way of using an ERP of PLM). They then bring those requirements to the technical people who will do the actual technical work. Then they make sure that the technical solution meets the business needs. Since this position involves understanding the business side, there’s a chance you can transition to it with just a passing knowledge (but need to have some passion for) of technology. I’ve hired many people outside of the computer science major for business Analysts and it works out really well for them. Note: not to be confused with the Planning/Strategy position of Business Analyst.

3 Likes

So companies that would hire for these positions are the actual PLM companies themselves??

I agree. Knowing others have similar crazy experiences makes me feel less victimized.

1 Like

Brands also hire for these types of positions as well. It makes sense to have the position in house if it focuses on understanding the business and trying to solve problems using technology.

1 Like

This is such great information… so many ppl just burn out of fashion. Many find it hard to translate their experiences to another relevant career. I will make sure to pass this on. So to search for these jobs online I should tell them Apparel IT Business Analysts…

1 Like

Thank you, abc. This sounds interesting. Im going to look into this.

Only a hanger?
I’ve had desks and chairs thrown my direction…
Not to mention my boss tore up my CAD designs up into tiny pieces when throwing a tantrum.

2 Likes

Many companies have their own versions of PLM. They need someone that understands fashion and creative…but can deal with the drudge of the tech side of things.

I don’t find the website depressing. It is the industry. I feel very connected and very sane, after reading people experiencing the same struggles i do, it makes me feel like i’m not alone :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I agree- this website isn’t depressing, it is just the nature of the fashion industry as it is right now.

While I have had some great experiences in fashion- travel, building relationships, learning a lot, a sense of accomplishment, etc- there have also been just as many negatives and struggles as well. I understand that is a job, and not everything is everything is sunshine and unicorns, but after a 20 year career I would like to feel more positive about the overall state of affairs, and I just don’t. This is a great place to vent without repercussion, and it does help to know it’s not just me.

However, what is depressing is that is seems like most of us are the Cogs in the machine, and as we don’t have unions, and much of the fashion industry is small, privately run companies which can run exactly as they please, and us “cogs” either have to put up with it or leave. I would like to see some kind of way that we could stand up, and have some more influence in the companies we labor at.

This would mean, for the most part, a huge shift in the attitudes of the higher ups, and the industry professionals as a whole, about how they treat employees. We didn’t go into this profession for the paycheck, or for the glamour, but I can tell that most of the people on this website are deeply passionate about what they do. They want to work in a drama-free workplace, where their ideas are respected, where they get paid fairly for their work, they don’t feel guilty for taking a vacation, where they can know and understand their career path and have people around them who want to see them grow, and will mentor their progress. And sadly these ideas, which are pretty basic and straightforward and, should I say, human decency- well, I feel most of theses are alien concepts in capitalism in general, but in the apparel industry in particular.

So, what can we do? Well, having a website to vent and complain is nice. Being able to warn people of horrible bosses or workplaces is another. but we are still just merely trying to dodge a few bad apples. Change comes from the top- so how can WE be proactive in change?

7 Likes

Yes, thank you for writing this. Im in the industry about 7 years compared to your 20, but stand behind what you experienced.
My hope for the industry is in new bosses, somebody with open mind and fresh view

1 Like

Omg! Are you serious? I guess ive had it easy. This is crazy!. Im sorry you had to experience that

1 Like

Hi - I am enjoying this group somewhat, but wondering - are there any Canadians; specifically Vancouver area in this group or is it all American fashionistas? Trying to relate but not…thank you!

1 Like

@tinkerbell, this question probably deserves it’s own topic.

-Grand Poobah
THE SCHMATTE

What courses do you suggest to transition into this career? This is a GREAT idea! I’ve been looking for a segue into a viable tech/fashion career that won’t move overseas… Thank you for your post!!!

Yes, I think I worked there too.

I agree this space has been very depressing to read through. It’s a true reflection of the industry though. I’ve stood up for basic rights in a lot of my past positions and ended up going through a lot of sht from push back from the employers. I had a few small wins (like actually getting our department a daily lunch break!)

–but I’ve always thought and hoped that if more people in fashion fought for their rights and said no to 60 hour work weeks with no OT pay maybe gradually the industry would improve. I hope that each new generation of graduates will fight a little harder. The fashion industry doesn’t need to be a terrible place. In fact, we’d all be more productive and creative if it wasn’t.

7 Likes

When I entered the industry in 1989 I asked all my colleagues if they wanted to form a union and no one was interested. We were specialized and making $50-$100/hr. Now, good luck getting $35/hr. I’m sorry to say that when I left in 2018 the industry was much worse. Salaries were down and the good old boys were still in power. Some of the Lady bosses were just as bad. I am sad about the decline on all levels.

5 Likes

Today I heard through the grapevine that my ex-boss who wanted to pay me (I have over 15 years experience) a rate of 30/hr after Covid was now paying a younger designer 75/hr freelance rate. We at the senior level, over 40 years, are all being scammed by the fashion industry. We are told on our face that they cannot afford our salary, but in comes a young trendy European designer and poof, they are willing to pay more. Yes, I’m a bit bitter now, being a POC and an Asian immigrant, I’m strongly questioning if that affected my position. I had been at that company for 3 years and my designs were highly successful towards making them profitable. Does anyone feel discriminated because of their ethnicity, post Covid? Or is it just rampant ageism? Ugh, hate this industry.

3 Likes