Fashion Career Counseling? Recommendations? Worth it?

So many people have lost jobs and are struggling to find work because of the pandemic. It makes me wonder what would a career coach or career therapist would say? What would their advice be for someone who’s struggling to get interviews, work, or even a promotion if they are currently and feeling stuck?

Had anyone here had career counseling particular for the fashion industry field they are in? Any Advice? Recommendations? Was it worth it? For anyone that had done it - do they understand the industry enough to advise you?

I agree, it’s very difficult out there. I am investigating some leads from posting on this site. I will send you the link to the convo. It was very helpful.

1 Like

When i first lost my job last MARCH- i did reach out to a career coach and spoke to him once a week for a month. Not specifically for fashion - but he helped me to focus on regrouping on the skills I have, what i can grow (without work), retooling my resume a bit. Ultimately though it came down to me focusing on one aspect of design that I like. I’ve been building up a mini portfolio with it it and it seems to be working almost 10 months later. the fashion industry is in shambles right now and there are so many talented people flooding the market who are available and ready to work. salaries and hourly wages are way lower than they’ve ever been so really take the time to focus on what you want out of this and where YOU want be in the next few years. Not just what companies want / who is hiring, etc. What transferrable skills do you have outside of apparel space, etc.

1 Like

PPS: i made almost no $$$ in this industry in 2020. It is just starting to pick up again now

1 Like

I am a recruiter specific to the industry. While I am not weighing in on fashion career counseling per say and if it is worth it I can share my two cents both personally and professionally on what they might say.

I was searching for a job back in the early ‘00’s. I had a position but, it was not a career level position. Looking back on that experience, I wish I had enjoyed the journey a bit more. I was so focused on trying to find a job, dealing with the rejections and the stress of not having a career level position, after obtaining a degree, I lost sight of the brief amount of “free time” I had to do things I wanted to do.

View this time as a gift from the universe. There are a handful of times we get to pause in life. Make a list of what you are looking for to make yourself whole (work, children, relationship/marriage, family, social, financial, spiritual (if you a person of faith), etc.). Prioritize what order you want these things in. Create bullets under each area with what you hope to achieve, along with action plans. This should give you perspective. In my case I learned I wanted more balance. I was a workaholic. I reprioritized the order I wanted things and over time I got there.

Even though the market is slow you want to make sure you are networking and taking time to confirm what you are doing is what you really want to do going forward. What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles is a great book that may help you confirm or redefine the career you will be most happy in/passionate about. The opportunity/money will then follow.

You can also make a list of companies you want to work for and ask for informational interviews. This may give you a vibe on the culture too. On a final note, don’t forget to reach out to contacts to let them know you are passively looking.

7 Likes

Thank you! sooooooooooooo much!

Thank you so much for your comment! Your statement really meant a lot! You’re right, balance is important when you want all the best things in different areas of your life.

I agree that this “pause” has been a gift from the universe. After a couple of decades of getting up in the dark, dashing for a train, being 100% “on” for 12+ hours and getting home again in the dark, I told myself that God must have wanted me to have a (unpaid) vacation. Circumstance is what happens to you, opportunity is what you do with circumstance. I am doing things for the future that I couldn’t do while I was at that job full-time, like getting training in some software that my former employer didn’t provide.

4 Likes