Surface Design / Print

I’d like to add surface design / print category.

In Los Angeles salaries vary greatly with senior designers making 80K-90K. Textile Designers/ Merchandisers are anywhere from 75K-125K on average.

2 Likes

wow! thats great! im looking at positions here in nyc that start at 45k. i have never seen a position for higher than 70k in ny.

2 Likes

Salaries have dropped considerably in surface design in the past few years.

2 Likes

before covid from my experience in textile design 58K starting salary for a textile designer, 5 years experience up to 85K,120K and up for manager/ director
it seems that unfortunately due to covid and many people looking for work, companies will be able to lower salary range.

1 Like

70k-85k easy for an experienced textile designer pre-COVID in Los Angeles @ a decent company–highlight, underscore DECENT. There are many who lowballed pre-COVID. I’ve seen salaries as low as 40k now.

1 Like

Los Angeles. From my experience, good companies pre covid for 5-10yrs experience 75k was doable. After covid drama 68k is top of budget for what I’ve been seeing. Even 65k

1 Like

I am seeing jobs for as low at $40k for textile design. I applied to one job that did not have a salary range listed; I was contacted by the company to schedule an interview, but they first wanted to know what my “expectations” were for a salary. I told them $75k and the HR person said there is no way they can pay that amount. The highest was $45k! And they wanted someone with a minimum 10 years experience.

I declined to schedule the interview; that to me (with over 25 industry experience) was an absolute slap in the face. That is just a bit above entry level here in Los Angeles.

Can be very disheartening at times.

2 Likes

That’s insane because NYC living expenses are so high, probably higher than LA. :frowning:

2 Likes

The job was in L.A. as I am in Los Angeles county. But the living wage salary here is $60k and even that is stretching things. I can’t seem to find any in the $70k range and the longer I look, the older, of course, I get. Very disheartening.

1 Like