How much should a senior designer salary be in los angeles?

i’m curious because i was so terribly underpaid at associate & designer levels in the past, so now that i’m now at senior level with a pay bump at a new company, i’m not sure what i should be reasonably paid.

what about design director level?

if you have experience with all of this, please advise re: precovid/postcovid ranges, thank you so much.

It depends on the company, level of experiences, i just happened to see ‘Revolve’ Senior Designer job posting as 90-95K.
I worked in NYC last +10yrs, asst./associtae salaries definitely went up a lot since Covid-
I have a old coworker, worked LA-moved bk to NYC worked and went back to LA- told me LA pays were better, right after Covid

Nowadays I’ve seen Senior Designer salary range shown as 85K-120K on the job postings.
Also director salary seems stagnnt, actually seems went down more- 100K-150K in NYC lately.

3 Likes

I’ve seen Sr Designer anywhere from $75k (on the low end) to $100k. I feel like now around $90-95k is about average.

Design Director- I’m not even sure anymore what this job makes. I feel like a lot of companies call that role Sr Designer to keep costs down. My last “Sr Designer” role I led a team of designers and assts; directed/managed art/graphics; spearheaded sourcing and product development team; and traveled to and presented concepts/product to the buying team at a major big box retailer. It was a DD role, but they called it Sr Designer.

2 Likes

I took a job a couple months ago at the designer level for 90K with good benefits, unlimited PTO, and yearly bonus. The senior designers above me would be getting at least 6 figures I’d expect.

2 Likes

These numbers all sound really low.
In Florida, a designer level could make 72K-95K.
I was a Sr in SF and made 145K. So I would expect LA to be 125K-150K depending on company and experience.

As you move up, it gets more varied by company. Directors can do anything from a glorified Sr role or function like a VP. My guess is somewhere in the mid-high 100Ks

3 Likes