Quitting Fashion

Hi everyone,

I want to share this personal essay I wrote about a pivot in my career from fashion designer to a mental health and wellness writer. I hope during this time of uncertainty you learn to choose yourself first and move towards the path of your innermost desires and happiness. We all are worthy regardless of our job title, salaries, or resume. Please put yourself first.

22 Likes

Thank you for sharing. So inspiring!

1 Like

That’s beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Your story is inspiring.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

May I share this on my linkedIn profile? It is really great!!

1 Like

Yes of course! you can share!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! It gives me hope that I may be able to transition to a new career.

1 Like

I love this! I am in the process of transitioning to graphic design after 10 sometimes fun, but mostly exhausting and difficult years as an apparel designer. I’ve been laid off twice and unemployed in this extremely competitive, cool girl industry for 2 years now. The thought of getting back into it and continually having to prove my coolness makes me nauseous. I am so excited for this next chapter.

2 Likes

I so relate to this. I have been working in the Fashion Industry for over 22 years and I love writing as well. I am also without job at the moment and I write from time to time, hoping will publish a poetry collection one day and some short stories. Thank you for sharing with us!

1 Like

Thank you so much for writing this. I have been suffering from intense anxiety and mental breakdowns throughout my fashion career and this is just one extra beacon of hope that I now have to get out. I wish you the best of luck for your entire life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are already cool and you are more than enough. You can do anything! You will be surprised how utilizing our design talent easily transfers to a different area and makes us even more unique in any field we 're in. Best of luck to you!

That’s amazing! Love that you are a writer as well! Your words are needed in this world. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! It’s a very tough industry on our mental well being and we often forget we do deserve happiness, freedom, and peace. Best of luck to you as well!

Thank you to everyone who’s read my article! If you are considering a career change I wish you all the best of luck. As designers we are incredibly resilient, unique, and have a way of viewing the world like no one else does. Our talent and skillset pivoted into another direction will only make us more valuable. I truly believe that! Please check out my website and follow my LinkedIn page! I hope I can continue to inspire every one of you to take up space in the world as your most authentic self.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/sincerely-miss-mary

1 Like

Brava! Good on you Miss Mary to leave a toxic, tumultuous, abusive industry 7 years in- the earlier you leave, the better. As you wrote, all the little highs aren’t worth it at a certain point. I’m 14 years deep, but know I really should have left 4 years ago, and recently laid off again for the billionth time. Glad you’ve made your way out (I’m working on mine! :yum:)

3 Likes

This is so inspiring. I relate so hard to your story. I am trying to gather up the courage to leave fashion as well. Its so great to hear from someone who did it!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story! You have inspired me to start a new side venture. I’m still currently working in the Industry but having another project gives me hope that there is life after fashion.

1 Like

I have 11 years of experience in production/product development/sourcing roles (at BR, GAP & PVH), and looking to leave the industry, but I’m unsure what areas I can transition into using the skills & experiences I’ve gained from my years in fashion. :frowning:
Any advice/suggestions would be so very helpful.

1 Like

I would say if you can make the skills and responsibilities to be generic then you might be able to land in a different industry. Although that’s hard to say cause I work in technical design and only know a bit about production.

There are companies that need production/sourcing to sell products such as beauty, food or some sort of packaging. I could be missing something but thats what I’ve brainstormed so far.

Hi! I’m going to post an article I wrote about career pivot. What I have learned about transitioning out of fashion and into the writing world is that because I have worked in one of the toughest industries, I have gained the tenacity, resiliency, and passion to do anything. You are not defined by “fashion” you are defined by the way you have shown up to your job everyday-your worth, your value, your character. You can do anything. You have more potential than you realize when you step out of what you know. Do not be afraid. Be curious. If I can do it, you can too. I believe in you.

2 Likes