Look! We love black people!

Is JCP really celebrating this woman OR are they trying to get BLM points? I’m so jaded these days, I am leaning towards the latter…

3 Likes

I think its more than likely a bit of both, because she’s been in the role for almost 6 years. My mind is honestly blown that she’s worked with the company for 42 years, I hope her bankroll reflects that.

4 Likes

She has worked there for 42 years and she has only been promoted to a VP???
You are not jaded you now see the reality of the situation and are calling BS on tokenism.

7 Likes

Did you watch and read about her? She is a Sr. VP, and started at the company when she was 16. JCP has gone through many changes in 42 years, and that she has remained says she loves her job and where she works. Given her experience, she probably could have gone to other companies, but chose to stay. She had her reasons, please do not inject anything racial into a story unless you know the back story, which clearly you do not.

3 Likes

So you think the timing of this article is totally about the individual and nothing to do with the current socio-political climate?

3 Likes

I think the madhatter might not want to see what’s clearly in front of them. You weren’t asking about whether Ms Harris loved her job, but whether the timing of this feature was for browning points. Which it definitely was, but it was also a “celebration” of her as a loyal JCP employee for almost a half a century.

1 Like

There are many JCP employees working there for their entire careers. They built the company that way. Just because this is the fashion business is no reason to be so catty. Take a moment and find the nice side of life. Pollyana is alive and well here.

2 Likes

Its not catty to notice the timing of the release of this article as it deals with the current racial climate of the world. What is catty is trying to vilify someone for posing a question that was posted merely to generate a discussion…especially after the said they’re jaded these days.

1 Like

Val has been a VP for decades. She has been promoted to another level of VP recently and she has always been a leader in her department. I have the opportunity to work with her and in the head office and this company truly celebrates diversity. Many top ranking positions are people of color. Remember their last CEO was black as well? They have a long standing history for support in LGBT and minorities. I think let us not jump into conclusion thinking every company is pandering to BLM.

3 Likes

I think JCPenney’s has always tried to be conscientious when it comes to fostering an inclusive environment. I interviewed with them twice at their corporate office and noted the diversity of their employees. That was over 8 years ago, so they’ve been on the diversity train for awhile.They also had a black CEO not too far back, which is more than a lot of other companies are doing.

4 Likes

People don’t leave JCP! Several people I know went to working there and stayed! That’s amazing and so rare.

1 Like

Great personal insight, Thank you.