Breaking into Gerber usage

Hi, I’ve been working as a pattern maker for many years now, but have worked for smaller companies that do not have Gerber. I am well-versed in TukaTech and StyleCAD and learned both quickly, but as I look at current job listings, most are asking for 5+ years in Gerber. I called Gerber at one point to ask whether I could attend GerberU, but they told me that I needed to be sponsored by an employer. Trouble is, employers seem to only want people who have been working in Gerber already, and it becomes one of those impossible loops. I’m finding that it’s limiting me in my job search for positions that would otherwise be a good fit. I’d love any insight or “hacks” to gain experience and understanding of Gerber. I learned two softwares quickly, I have no doubt that I could learn Gerber as well, but I need to figure out how to be given the opportunity!

1 Like

Unfortunately Gerber software isn’t that user friendly/intuitive. It was designed 20+? years ago and takes many steps to do one function. Before I was at my current company, I had only used Optitex (& had taught myself to use it). Before my interview, I bought some Gerber books to try to learn, but that wasn’t much help. Luckily the company saw that I had pattern skills and knew how to use pattern software, just not Gerber. They hired me and than paid for me to take a week long training class from Gerber. I’m pretty computer savvy, but I don’t think I would have figured out how to use it without training. Sorry not to be more helpful. Especially now that Gerber U in online, you could see if the company would be willing to train you if you prove you have all the other skills?

Ironically I just received an email from FIT that they are offering a certificate in Gerber if you live in in NYC and want to take the class?? Here’s the link. Computerized Patternmaking—Gerber Accumark PDS

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I’m left coast—not at all close to NYC🫤.

Here is an online class: Gerber Accumark Virtual — The Cut Fashion Academy

1 Like

I have used Gerber on & off throughout my career: it is true that it was developed many years ago and it is very geometry-based and its functions are more like a computer language - a series of if/then actions- than magical functions. But if you are good at flat patternmaking, it should be no problem for you. I recently did a training on some of the more advanced features and they have combined some functions to make them more user- friendly. One thing to ask these potential employers is what version of Gerber they are using: some of them have older software (I think below version 9) that is no longer supported. (I have not used the Gerber 3D applications so can’t comment on that.) Also to note that Gerber has merged with Lectra so there may be some software consolidation in the near future.

1 Like

UGH, that is very frustrating.

Agreed with what many have said thus far. Definitely ask what version. I’ve been working with Gerber for 14/15 years and many places still use some form of Version 8 (but I think they are now on 13? I can’t keep up, I don’t know anyone who uses any of the newer versions).

It can be difficult to learn to use Gerber, because getting a license is so outrageously expensive. I actually took a job specifically bc they were going to send me to 1 week of training with Gerber when I began. I don’t know if they even still do in person training?

I’m not sure if the Cut offers a license when you do their class- if so, then that would be great!

Otherwise I think I’d just be vague and say that you are very computer savvy and know many digital patternmaking softwares… then once you get in there say, yeah, I haven’t used Gerber but I’ve used all the others and I’m sure I can learn this one too.

I think once they realize you can use a computer and actually understand patternmaking, the software is really just a tool. I’ve gotten jobs using Optitex and Browzwear not knowing either. It was challenging at first to have to be on the job and learning simultaneously, but the best way to learn is when you just have to do it!

1 Like

One difference between Gerber and most 3D softwares was that traditionally, Gerber had the capability to digitize an existing paper pattern into the system. They have since moved to scanning capabilities where you can scan an existing pattern or other flat garment piece. The digitizing feature will be obsolete soon as it will no longer be supported because of moving to 3D capabilities. So I would concentrate on being able to draft from a basic rectangle/other shape and spec measurements, which is why flat pattern and geometry skills are necessary.
Gerber does online training with a live instructor now. However, it can be challenging to schedule the training because there are only 1 or 2 instructors for all of North America. I did some training earlier this year on features avaliable with versions 12.4 and up. In order to do the virtual trainng, you do need access to the software, which is why it is so difficult to do any training outside of a work environment. Good luck!