Would you take a position at a company with many toxic reviews online?

I am freelancing and looking for full-time or additional freelance work in PD&D. I have held design director and senior designer positions. I applied to a company that has constant job postings so you know the bad reviews must be true. So the question is - if offered a good position for a good salary would you take it (bad reviews and all) and use the position to keep looking? I get push back because I am freelancing and not working full time but I don’t know if leaving my pleasant freelance work would be worth the job from hell. Then again - my freelance fluctuates and is not secure. I am only interviewing and have not been offered a job. I am just researching what I would do if they did offer ne a job. Thoughts??

1 Like

It depends on your financial situation. I have accepted positions that were opportunities to do good work, expand my skills, pay my mortgage (that was always the main motivation), and stay in the game full time. At times the reviews were right, and I was able to move on quickly, at other times I was in a department that was ok, and it worked out. There are some companies that are toxic from the top down and there’s constant turnover. You know that’s not going to last and you can make your choice accordingly. At this point, I am interested in opportunities that are better environments; I don’t want to revisit those past toxic experiences, been there done that. But it really depends on where you are in your career and what your financial situation is.

5 Likes

One thing to consider with company reviews is that sometimes the toxicity is actually the fault of the reviewing employee. We’ve all worked with people who bring a whole office down. Reviews are helpful BUT people should always do independent research on companies.

4 Likes

No, I don’t think it’s worth it, especially considering that you already held high positions, and that you currently do have work. Your freedom and wellbeing far outweigh a false sense of security a full-time job can give. You will trade true freedom, some instability, mental health wellbeing, the ability to say “no” to a job, to working with certain clients, for the illusion of security. I’ve found there is no true security- that full-time job could let you go any time. Then, how much is your sanity worth?

I agree with @grandpoobah, that yes, perhaps the reviewer was the exceptional “bad apple,” but it seems like there are many reviews, and constant job postings meaning frequent turnover.

I think the very fact that you’re asking about it means you shouldn’t take that job offer, should it present itself. I think we’ve all learned well that the time we have on this earth is finite, how do you want to spend it? And what does your gut tell you? Deep down, you know the answer.

But my answer, what I would do if I had your experience and current work situation, is not take that offer.

p.s. what do you mean you’re getting pushback, from the potential employer? omg please! I’ve gotten hired after being out of the field completely for 2 years…why? because they desperately needed that position filled. another person got hired after starting her own company in the field…why? same reason. if that company needs you so badly, your freelancing will be seen as an asset, not a hindrance and opportunity to negotiate your salary down.

4 Likes

Why not take the job if you already have a freelance career happening, you can always fall back to it if the reviews end up being accurate.
Also to note, you can work in the same company
And have completed different experiences than your coworkers because of your direct manager. As they say people don’t leave companies they leave bad managers…

2 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I have not hear back from them to even set up an interview. They may never contact me. If given the opportunity, I will at least interview and go check it out for myself. I jumped the gun a bit. It is an interesting dilemma given our industry. Good luck to all of you!

1 Like

I’ve been going thru this as well, for the year. Seen some colorful reviews, as Ive left my fair share. I am currently doing temp to perm at a place, oddly not reviewed on here (they are a huge company) and a majority of the designers are miserable, so i’m just trying to see a light.

1 Like

I would not take a job that has bad reviews or a bad reputation. I would not put myself in that position at the later part of my career. I lost a fashion job after 14 years due to Covid. I actually passed on a job offer with acceptable pay because of bad reviews and I already knew the reputation of the owners of the company. It was hard to pass but I know it was the right thing to do.

2 Likes

If you don’t NEED the job (meaning this job is the only thing between you and homelessness/feeding yourself) and have a healthy freelancing thing going, you don’t have anything to lose to at least interview in my opinion. I have worked at many sh*tty jobs with toxic reviews and found myself in all sorts of different situations: knee deep in the toxicity as I expected, in a department overseen by a sane person who held off the insanity for their employees, and weirdly enough, once I was the “favorite” and avoided all the crap because of that. (For what it’s worth, lots of people call my current company toxic/crazy, but I’m barely even fazed now because I’ve been through SO MUCH WORSE at other places! Got a thick skin!)

If anything, take the risk if you get the interview and ask them some hard questions about their bad reviews and what they can say about them. Maybe the toxic reviews were all about one higher-up employee who has now left; maybe they’ll deny the reviews and turn on you in the interview. You have zero obligation to take the job, much less finish the interview if it gets hostile. I try to look at every interview as practice and networking and a learning experience. You can take away that if nothing else!

5 Likes

Excellent advice from denimegg. Since you are a senior person, you would be in a more powerful position with your higher ups/ owners. I’ve worked for many a crazy owner who treated me very well, because I always was a professional and grew up in this industry working under pressure. Listen to your gut instinct regarding your direct boss: if you think that they are sleazy, I would not take a job. If you think that they are tough, they probably are, and you should ask for the pay that would make it all worth it. good luck!

4 Likes