What are the most toxic companies in the fashion industry?

You are better off finding it at a wholesale/other retail denim company. Mental health is the key to happiness in the industry.

3 Likes

sighs okay I will trust what you and two ppl have said. Really sucks that the biggest denim company is such an awful place to work for. Is the pay at the very least good?? Or is it more so a person by person basis?

1 Like

No, they will pay you horribly. When I was first starting out in my career I asked for an amount and the director wanted me to be at a lower salary.

Plus they already filed for bankruptcy

2 Likes

:flushed: okay I’ll just keep on trying to find denim companies.

I’ve been in this industry 20 years almost… GIII was the worst of them ALL.

23 Likes

J.Jill…worst company I have ever worked for, even with the new leadership. Very clicky mean-girl type atmosphere. Lots of mid-level managers who are lazy and don’t pull their weight. They take advantage of the younger, more productive people. If you get promoted at all, you will be paid about half of your much older peers just because they have been breathing behind a desk longer.

The company is also not doing well and their stock price has been under $1 for a very long time.

3 Likes

I would say almost all fashion brands I’ve worked with are pretty toxic. Anna Sui was very toxic and I am still seeking guidance on a potential lawsuit with the fashion brand. Almost all modeling agencies are toxic frankly. There needs needs to be a reform on casting models and that’s a huge part of our initiative at CremeNow.

Some of the brands we do not tolerate in our fashion circles include: Nike, Zara, H&M, Asics, Under Armour, Lululemon, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Anna Sui, Michael Kors, Anna Wintour and Conde Naste, Ballet Bracelet, MVP Collections (unfortunately Mo Vaughn is a pioneer but lacks the foresight of working with a true Exec-team to carry his legacy in the fashion market), MLE (another copycat designer has accessories at Bloomingdales), MACY’s, JC Penney (lol this is hardly fashion but should be mentioned), AMAZON FASHION. Please avoid at all cost. In fact just get rid of your Prime Account if you want to take one giant leap in the right direction for ethical fashion and consumerist goals.

16 Likes

Don’t even get me started on Amazon Fashion, is it even fashion? They hire into their new program through recruiters and contract you for months. They give you no guidance, no one knows what they are doing but also give you unrealistic goals to meet. Basically, it’s bs. I still have friends who contract with them it’s so sad. I would never reccomend. If you get contacted to work contract for “AMAZON FASHION” please ignore at all costs!!

You’re not even styling by the way. You’re a catalogue shopper. BORING.

8 Likes

LOL Nina McLemore interviewed me about 30 years ago and t d me I’d be bored because I was too creative!

2 Likes

As the woman responsible for the trends and fashion in NYC in the last decade plus you are correct Amazon Fashion is not real fashion- it is for tools, fools, and poseurs in the industry who want to continue to perpetuate Besoz’s legal form of institutionalized slavery. I created the Influencer platform that Amazon bought from a small ad agency based in downtown Manhattan back in 2017. I really am out here strategizing how to take down Besoz and Anna Wintour. They are Blacklisted from our world post covid19 mark my words!

13 Likes

I’m not sure if your angle is that these companies are toxic from an employee perspective or if you mean more from a sustainability perspective, but I worked at Under Armour for years and had a great experience overall. It certainly depends on who your manager is (we all know “people work for people!”) but I enjoyed my time there on the retail side working in a store.

2 Likes

I once had an interview there that was truly bizarre. Most of the meeting consisted of the interviewer asking me where I got each article of clothing I was wearing, and then explaining why I could never wear it there if I got the job. A literal “dressing down.” I declined their invitation for a second interview.

4 Likes

I was just a freelance contractor doing branding and photography. I worked with them once they changed from the old Under Armor leadership which was way more ethical and rewarding for staff including freelancers into the leadership that got them to Kohls (LOL) I mean it’s telling when a brand can go from partnering with NBC (that I am still technically contractual with) to losing their major partnerships and resorting to sales and partnership with KOHLS. The leadership afterwards was toxic across the board. Under Armour has been banned from our CremeNow collective since 2017

2 Likes

AO Apparel/KB Apparel/Luggage Smart under CEO/President, please avoid!

President is an investor with zero manufacturing background hence additional company “Luggage Smart”. Extremely degrading to employees, practices bait & switch tactics, requires team work all hours via Wechat on personal cell plans, promises medical after 3 months, does not deliver. President stands over/behind employees while they work has repeatedly yelled at staff in front of other employees. People normally last less than one month. She normally recruits on Indeed or via word of mouth. Please avoid this organization.

1 Like

Guess and AG Jeans in LA. I have heard the rumors and their reputations for years but I finally interviewed at both. Just from being there for a short amount of time, I could tell you how unbelievably toxic these places were. The woman who interviewed me at AG was miserable and I even asked her at the end if she liked working there, to which she replied “you get used to it”. A bell is rung for when you have to be at your desk, when you can take lunch, when you can leave. Like high school. And the owner expects everyone to hug him, not in a cute way, but a terrible controlling way. I thought it was BIZARRE when he came into my interview and the designer interviewing me got up to gave him a hug, it was so uncomfortable. Guess is still controlled by Paul Marciano, who let us not forget was accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct and still remained head of this company. He watches when you come and go and how long your bathroom breaks are. I am absolutely serious about this, and he has been this way ever since the brand started decades ago. Nothing will change there until he steps down.

12 Likes

Amerex Group, despite its laid-back atmosphere, it is extremely toxic environment. The lack of professionalism, structure and employee value makes it a tough working environment. There is a culture in top management to continuously mentally intimidate employees, by verbally and emotionally instilling a constant fear of job security. The intent Is to motivate employees to work harder but it actually does the opposite. They have a high turn over due to this.

8 Likes

Rewash Jeans and anything Alden Halpern has touched.

2 Likes

I agree with you…It’s multi million dollar company that promotes on those in the community to upper management… while yes they are BIPOC that hold positions …they have no real power… and the HR is a joke…never again

1 Like

Editions Jalou. (L’Officiel worldwide)

They owe myself and at least 30 others I know for jobs going back years.

Someone has even started a petition https://www.change.org/lofficielpay

I heard rumours that the family that runs the company live a lavish lifestyle with the money from advertisers and investors , but no freelancers have been paid for the last 2years. Seems the family feel they are above the law in France.

2 Likes

Miller International, based in Denver Colorado. The company and its brands can do a lot better if they didn’t have Patty (Patrice) Sorg as Vice President. Started as a customer service representative, she got promoted to a VP position without any experience in the garment industry. She interfere in all processes and meticulously destroys all new initiatives.

2 Likes