Tom cody is the worst boss

i worked for Tom Cody in nyc for about two years. it was my first job as a designer, i found him through the FIT website and i loved making all kinds of beautiful print designs. Unfortunately Tom abuses his designers. He walks around 1-2 daily, the tiny uncomfortable cramped, freezing or very hot space (freezing in winter, hot in summer - leaking walls) and belittles his underpaid designers. tells most of designers that they aren’t talented and embarrassing them publicly. he often supports visas so many designers feel they have to stay if they want to remain in the country. he abuses his power and makes his employees feel bad about themselves. my coworkers and i talk about how we are still effected by his treatment towards us even after leaving. i was so excited to get the job, but as time went on his abuse became unbearable, not just towards me but towards my fellow designers. when offering the job he told us how we will get commission on our sold designs but that commission is hard to make and if sold in different countries, you won’t get commission bc they apparently they sell the same prints for less money. the designers don’t sell their designs and have no way of making the sales. he is the worst boss i have had in over 15 years of professional experience. if you decide to work for Tom know that you will be underpaid, under appreciated and abused. he doesn’t deserve the talented designers that create work for him, fyi, he doesn’t know how to do any cad design. there are a ton of negative reviews, one on google is particularly on point. there are some positive reviews on job websites but these are made by people in his london office, because he is not there (the london office is now closed), from the other company under his thumb but where he has no interaction with the designers or from his family members he employs. he is currently hiring and i thought it was important to say something so at least you were warned. when i interviewed, he appeared lovely, he is a sales person after all. my advice for a thick skinned designer if you decide to work for him, try to negotiate a higher salary than what he offers. as a starting designer in nyc you should be making a minimum of 40k, don’t let him fool you in thinking your sales commission will substantially increase your pay. you will at least gain experience making print and pattern designs, but he will own all the designs and you are not allowed to show any on your website. you’ve been warned good luck!

3 Likes

How much were you making there? I used to work there and saw they were hiring too…

1 Like

I am saddened by reading your post as a previous company I worked for would use his services a lot to create new artwork, colorways, additional printouts etc. and I remember how expensive it was…some of his price range was insane and it seems that the hard work of the artist wasn’t decently compensated. Unfortunately this industry is well known for taking advantage of very talented artists.

1 Like

hi print and pattern, how long ago did you work at Tom Cody? Since you said it was your first job, and you have 15 years of professional experience, I am guessing that you left 13 years ago? I’m considering a position.

1 Like

hi artcouture, i worked there about 6ish years ago. i pivoted my career to print and pattern designer and this was my fist position as that. I did learn a lot, but all the above is true. you can read other reviews about working for Tom on glassdoor and other job review sites and even on google. idk maybe things have changed or if you are not working for him but another division of the company that could be good. not sure how he runs things now, i know things changed for him in 2019 so maybe he changed too? who knows! the above was my experience as well as my coworkers but you know, maybe this job could lead you to a better one. good luck!

1 Like

hi flower2020, yeah i worked for companies that bought from him too, but when i had power to buy from him we steered clear! there was another side of the business that was run by a lovely man and woman and they paid there workers fairly i am not sure if that side os still there, unfortunately he set up his business to be a part of tcd. but yeah there are many reviews on job sites and even on google describing the experience of working as a designer for tom himself. i agree it is sad how people with power can just take advantage of their employees but it is apparent from most the feedback on here that he is not the only one. I worked for other not very nice bosses (also some lovely ones!) but he was for sure the nastiest demeaning one I encountered and paid the lowest!

1 Like

I’m sorry for your bad experience there. I know him from using his service work division. One member of the service team left and started his own business. We have also bought the original designs from very nice salespeople. So I was surprised to read your comments because I have never heard bad things before but I will review my contract carefully.
I hope that you are happy where you are now designing prints! Do you work for yourself or for another studio?

1 Like

I’m so sad to read this as well. as @flower2020 also said, I worked for a large company that bought prints from him. the prints were considered to be the very best in the industry, at least in NYC, and we were so proud of the 1 print we could buy each season on our pretty generous corporate budget. I remember treating that print header and CD like it was a museum relic, super carefully!

I’m glad to read you’re out of there, and that you’re using your voice to help inform others.