Is it worth it to move for a job?

Hi All.
Is it worth it to move to another state for a job? What if living expenses are higher? For example, from LA to SF or from LA to NYC. I would love everyones insight.

1 Like

Sometimes if the increase salary, benefits, cost of living all adds up then it’s worth moving but it really depends on what your opportunity cost is.

1 Like

Also been wondering this too. Move from NYC to…some other city? Where exactly are the other jobs in apparel fashion and home fashion?
If I move to a new city for a job, and the job doesn’t work out, I wouldn’t want to be stuck there with no other jobs to apply to after moving into a new house/apartment.

1 Like

That’s already happened to me twice. Now I have to commute for 3 hrs a day to get to a “job” where as a designer I am informally in responsible for vendors and printers sounds more like a Production Manager if you as me

1 Like

If the new city had a large job market for fashion design, I’d take a chance. If the new city had no other viable fashion companies/job options, I’d ask to negotiate an exit package that included assistance to move me back to my home city at the end of my employment. It’s common in overseas employment. Maybe less so in moves within the US, but it’s not unreasonable to ask to have that conversation.

4 Likes

Do all of the companies hiring outside of their job location provide relocation package? If they do, what is included?

I have relocated twice for jobs!
First time was to Boston and I had no realistic view of cost of living so it was quite a shock. It was difficult, and I got laid off after 3 years BUT I will never say I regret it . I had the opportunity to move to a new and different city that I never would have had the chance to experience. After my layoff in 2014, I took work where I could and eventually got hired back in 2016. Laid off again in 2019 and finally left. I just relocated to Florida for a job end of 2019 and lo and behold am out of work again thanks to Covid. I have NO idea what I am going to do but kind of would like to stay down South. I try to look at as a new opportunity and am looking to expand my skill set or get remote work. perhaps start a bikini business… not sure yet. I never regret taking the leap of faith. I probably could have stayed safe in with the company I was with but there’s no way to know if I would still be there anyway. No use in looking back but I say if it all falls into place and makes sense for your situation then go for it. I would like to also add that I was 43 when I went to Boston so its not like I was in my 20s!

4 Likes

That’s very motivating to hear. I’m sorry you lost your job twice after relocating to all these other states. Yes, this covid business is no joke. Almost everyone is out of a job. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

@RDesigner20 no, but that doesn’t mean you can’t negotiate one. Executives will get a much bigger package than anyone, and relocation packages are most common at that level, but you’d be surprised what you can get when you just ask during the salary nevotiation. Minimum I’d ask is for them to cover packers/movers.

3 Likes

I would only relocate if I were having trouble finding a job in my city, it starts to happen as you move up the chain. Compensation, relocation fees, cost of living, quality of life in the new city?

Personally I wouldn’t consider relocating to NYC from LA unless the compensation was astronomical or it was my absolute dream job. The quality of life is so much better in Los Angeles, it’s a hard thing to leave.

1 Like

I’ve been unemployed for over a year after working 20 years in the fashion industry. I was laid off not fired. I’ve always kept my search broad across the US and also Europe. Although I must say I am not married or have kids so it’s easier for me to pick up and go. Personally, I want to be in Europe for a different lifestyle. I’m in nyc and while I love it here I’m unhappy with the US in general. I think the pay would be less no matter where I went but if it’s appropriate for the region that’s ok. You have to weigh the pros and cons specifically for you. Good luck.

2 Likes

Make sure the salary matches the living expenses!!! Drove me nuts to see SF patternmaking jobs paying LESS than the same jobs in LA! Like, are they insane? Be sure to look at ACTUAL housing prices, not just the scam listings on craigslist. The Bay Area is a hellscape that only billionaires can afford now, and I would not return there for anything. I moved back in with my parents in 2018 to help them out, and while my boyfriend found better-paying work in the bay area, I would occasionally look at apparel jobs and see they didn’t pay nearly as well as they do in LA.

Moving out of California or NYC, you WILL find that living costs are lower, and taxes too. I have lived in NYC, LA, and SF, and now Barcelona, and I always think it’s worth it to live somewhere you want to be. If you love where you live, make it work. I have a friend who moved from NYC to Orange County, CA for the money and was miserable, as I would’ve been too. If you want to move for a job, spend at least a week in the city to see what it’s like. Meet locals, check out events. Try to see if it’s really for you before making the move.

3 Likes

fabulous advice in a covid free world! haha. my question is about being able to find the overseas opportunities. i am in a place in life now where i can move - my boys are in college and graduated, and their father has a house in the town in which they grew up. i’ve applied to some london brands, but have never heard a word back. any advice on how to navigate and make it happen? thanks!

1 Like

I spent a decade applying for jobs in the EU. Then realized (finally admitted the truth!) there’s no way they’re going to sponsor an American’s visa when there are plenty of qualified candidates already here. So I moved to Spain in January. Only because it’s cheaper to get by here on very little income. Germany offers immigrants a job search visa, and I don’t know what the UK offers, but if you can get a work permit in a country that will no longer allow EU workers to easily migrate in come January, good luck!

If it’s London you most want to live in, start looking at getting yourself there, because then at least you’re there. But there are other countries that will still be in the EU and might be easier to work in than the UK. Jobs in Spain pay a fraction of what they do in the US, so I did not come here for the money! Luckily I have some income from the US which meets my basic needs here. Germany might be a much better option, as everyone speaks English, it’s a thriving economy, and they seem to make it a little easier for foreigners to find work.

True, thanks to the gross incompetence of certain people responsible for preventing a pandemic, you can’t leave the country now. But that won’t be forever. Start researching and digging up info now to help you later. I spent 3 years preparing for this move. Could’ve done it in 1, but I had to wait for a settlement.

2 Likes

this is so insightful and helpful, thank you!! i appreciate the time you took, and will definitely follow this path. germany could be an interesting option, though also not ideal in certain aspects…
i will research these strategies most thoroughly :blush:

2 Likes

Making the move to the EU will be extremely difficult as an American (although not impossible). Much of it depends on your level in the industry. If you’re an Artistic Director, you’ll have better luck, but Americans rarely get those positions…it happens from time to time: Oscar de la Renta at Balmain, Marc Jacobs at Louis Vuitton, Alex Wang at Balenciaga, and Virgil Abloh at Louis Vuitton etc…It’s rare that a European company would sponsor an American and relocate them for anything less than a director role. (again not impossible!) With Brexit, the UK may be easier; as now they will most likely have to sponsor Visas for anyone outside of the UK, meaning it’s the same process for someone in the US as in France.

What you have to keep in mind is that France, Italy, UK, Spain, Germany are all each unique and different markets. Unless you’ve worked in Europe and know these markets it’s a huge learning curve. Most brands in Europe don’t have 1-2 years for you to learn each market where they are doing business. You’d probably have the most luck getting in with a European brand that does a lot of business in the USA. Another option could be to start at a brand like Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein and transfer to their office in the Netherlands.

Alternatively if you are serious, take 6 months and go live in Europe and network. Meet with the recruiters there and update your book to reflect European brands. If it’s your dream don’t give up on it. Many Americans have done it; like I said it’s extremely difficult but not impossible!

3 Likes

From my personal experience, I would say yes it is worth it, especially from life experiences perspective. I lived in Europe, California and in the Mid-West, and I love to meet new people and discover new places. It’s definitely a stretch out of your comfort zone, so it’s a very personal choice. It’s important to think at your quality of life and what you like the most, in general, before making the move.
Another very important factor someone else mentioned: cost of a living is one of the first things that needs to be taken in consideration.
Some cities like NYC or SF are crazy expensive, so make sure the salary is enough to meet your expectations and needs. The opposite is also true: if you move to a cheaper/boring place, you may miss a lot of things the bigger cities offer, so you may want to offset that with a better salary, you know what I mean? Let’s say you move from NYC to Omaha NB. You may want to step up in terms of quality of life, so maybe travel more, spend weekends in funner places (no offense I have nothing against Omaha lol) or idk do more things to keep you motivated and excited, so this are all things to take into account.

As with most big decisions, when considering relocation for a job, try to anticipate the worst case scenario (usually, getting fired/layed-off) and work backward from there. The more options you have, the easier it is to justify the move.

1 Like