How are salaries in 2023?

Hello everyone! I wanted to start a topic on salaries for 2023. A lot has happened in the industry for the past three years and it feels like things are continuing to shift. What are you seeing and hearing in your job searches? Or in your current position?

I’m currently interviewing for 2 jobs. One is a more senior design position, but a limited 6mo contract, offering $90/hour. The other is less responsibility, as a CAD design er, and offering around $80k annual full time, hybrid WFH, and yearly bonus.

I’m kind of leaning towards the more chill job at the lower salary, with more schedule flexibility. I’ve never worked anywhere that offered a bonus before - what do you guys typically receive in bonus $$ from large companies?

I’ve also been hearing about layoffs and budgets getting tightened in the industry. I’m feeling glad to be in the running for anything at all since I’m currently freelance since COVID and starting to crave some financial stability.

How is 2023 looking for you?

1 Like

I’m at designer level and I make $90k a year. And my bonuses have always been one week of pay. Which that’s been the standard at the last three companies I’ve been at.

1 Like

Bonuses are always the carrot they dangle, as they are not set in stone and can be subject to change.

My company gives us bonuses based on sales projections… so 2021 mine was $9800 before taxes; this year nothing.

All in all, I’d lean towards the more chill, full time role, due to the flexibility and long term potential. And hybrid wrk looks like many places are getting away from it, but it is a real plus (all those commute hours you get back!). Otherwise you’ll be left without a job in 6 months (and possibly sooner). But all seems like it’s going well for you… yay!!

I freelance in Tech Design/PD but I put all my TPs in AI so illustrate too. I work for a mens wear casual company in downtown LA but only go in for fittings Tues/Thurs and the rest from home. My home rate is $50 and my in office rate is $100. They seem pretty happy with this and so am I.

3 Likes

wish they were higher ! still really hard to break the 100K glass ceiling :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi,
You need to ask HR or the recruiter if they made bonus in 2022 and 2021. If they did then was 100% bonus paid out or less? Normally a bonus is broken up into two parts to = 100%. If the company made it’s targets and on individual performance. That will give you an idea if you can count on some bonus money or not.

Good luck with it.

2 Likes

This is true. I’ve been at my company 9 years and only made bonus 3 times. And only 1 time was paid out 100%.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I just got info that their bonus has been paid out the last 5 years, not clear on the %. But yeah…it sounds like market conditions are tough, so the design team doesn’t sound confident about getting a bonus for 2022

I would take the cad designer job. Since covid things got really bad. Salary have dropped at least 30%. Lots of people are desperate to find anything. You can always take the job and keep looking until you find something better or may enjoy this job and what it has to offer and stay there. Money is not everything. Hybrid work formula and less stress is worth a lot! Good luck, I hope you get the job!

1 Like

at my last company, we had to take a 20% pay cut (reducing to 4 days of work) which was not ideal since i was already underpaid for my level of experience/responsibility. i wound up getting recruited for another company & i literally doubled my (reduced) salary with that move. i know that i’m fortunate & that this is NOT the norm, but what i have noticed is that assistant/associate level jobs are paying more (i saw a recent assistant designer posting for 35/hr - WOW, get that money, assistant designers!!!).

1 Like

Damn! Glad you made the move! I’ve found the only way to increase salaries is to jump companies, which sucks. You don’t always know what you are getting into. But for me, generally I’ve gotten a 10k-20k pay increase between employees at the least.

And I’m also happy to see people starting at better salaries, but considering how much rent has increased and inflation has affected daily prices, I’m sure those younger employees are still not feeling rich off it!

2 Likes