Family Owned / Religion based Companies

@KTMERCH I can assure you that the people who run/own this site are not sharing information with fashion industry employers. If you remember, we even encourage people to create profiles that DO NOT give away their identity.

I can also assure you that we only look at LinkedIn or StyleCareers profiles to ensure that the forum is exclusive fashion industry professionals. Without verification, what’s the point?

There is no conspiracy and no hidden agenda. We just felt the industry needed a place to discuss workplace issues without the fear of reprisal.

4 Likes

I think whenever you have a single likeminded group of ppl who dominate the industry they will over time think they can do what they want. No matter what religion or race. When one group looks around and see no real competition some will quite naturally try to use their ties to keep it that way. It sucks because it has a direct impact on so many things. Too many to list.

I don’t think anyone running the site is sharing things with owners of companies. This site is from the ppl at Style Careers who are very respected and a good place for job hunters and job posters. Any funny business would really hurt their standing in the industry.

1 Like

Idk I can’t find the thread. Maybe the name I’m searching is wrong.:woman_shrugging:

Perhaps…but I personally still would never name a particular company on here if it was related to something negative. But I’m lucky I have a diverse cluster of people (of different demographics) from different levels, sectors, and niches within the industry who have told me things off the record over the years…most of them, people wouldn’t even assume I communicate with someone like them!

Oh, I was already aware the stylecareers site and this one are connected.

Other industries have huge chat rooms. Advertising has the ‘fish bowl’, tech has a chat room and even large companies like Google have chat rooms. I think that Sharing information, communicating with colleagues,
is very helpful to everyone. If we’re all better informed, and help each other navigate through this unprecedented period, maybe we can come out of this as a community and improve the industry.

4 Likes

@Designmaven, that’s exactly right. The Schmatte was inspired by a similar site that focuses on Tech.

1 Like

thanks for sharing. thanks for setting this up. I do think it is a significant move towards
encouraging us to think as a community and works towards something better going forward.

2 Likes

as stated in the top, i’ve had a experiences in different communities/religions/family owned, so there wasn’t one specific

@KTMERCH I feel you with this, and not being sure whether employers are quietly trolling the site, or having connections to be wary of where people will speak badly. Before covid, my old boss and two coworkers had very comfortable relationships, and always had conversations that would go back and forth over that thin line of “employer” vs “employee” where anything was valid news, and literally anything goes, any gossip about other companies, anything at all that they came across, such as what is said on this site. Anything said on here always has that possibility that somebody will find out, but at the same time - employers should know better if they’ve been treating employees badly. It sure would suck if they did realize who wrote what (like at a small company). But just don’t post things that would rat you out instantly.

That really is an odd story about celebrating Diwali…but some cultures are just really happy to share their experiences with everyone, probably meant in a positive way, not to force everyone to convert their entire beliefs…but perhaps they went a little too far bringing it to the office? Wrong place to do it? Ha

1 Like