Ever been ghosted?

Recruiters almost always ghost and it’s SO annoying and disrespectful. Even if the client is not interested in meeting me, I need to know! How can I trust that you are going to find the right position for me if I can’t count on you getting back to me? Additionally, these same ones that will ghost you will also be the ones who are trying to get you to refer someone to them. Why would I help you out?? What have you done for me lately?? (Call me Ms. Jackson lol)

4 Likes

I was ghosted by Aeropostale twice. Many years back, the DMM made me an offer for a buying position. Said everything someone commented above “you’re perfect for the role”, “you’ll fit in with the team and company” etc etc. I came in for 5 interviews and met the team twice. Never heard back. Then two years ago went through the same thing. The supervisor took me to the store downstairs (they work in the same building as the store in Manhattan Mall). Went through multiple interviews, was told I’d receive an offer and that was that. Completely unprofessional. Other than that I’ve definitely been ghosted after multiple rounds. It’s unfortunate because I’d like to know in the long run why I didn’t get the job. I know you’ll never know the truth but would be nice to know if there’s anything you need to improve on or more experience in, in order to move forward.

I’ve been ghosted a few times, and it is always by recruiters.

1 Like

Just curious- are you water-marking the designs you choose to send to companies for their review? I did that once and put :copyright: or :registered: or :tm: . They ghosted me, and I always wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I tried protecting my work.

Kate Spade ghosted me big-time! One of their internal recruiters reached out over LinkedIn about a job that wasn’t posted. I have always been a Kate Spade fan, and I really tailored my portfolio for it. I sent work examples in, then they requested a second round in to show my “color sensibility.” First interview went well. They asked for a project- 6-8 piece collection with concept & color, hand-sketched croquis & flats for each piece, pretty open-ended but a lot of work. I made a project that is my favorite to date- work I was really proud of. I created fabric swatches, mocked up embellishment layouts, and designed branded trims.

The meeting to show the project went well with the designer and design director. I was asked to come in for another meeting to show my project to the creative director- I also thought this went well. HR asked for a digital copy of my project.

Then…NOTHING. I followed up with HR once or twice, and got a vague response about “still looking at candidates.” After that- I never heard anything else. They finally posted the job, and I couldn’t help but feel the description of the job was colored by my project. It felt like I was asked to do the project so they could write the description, like they never actually considered me. I found out later that a friend-of-a-friend applied for the exact same job and had an identical experience- I wasn’t the only candidate they did this to in looking to fill this job.

I understand that companies don’t hire people for an assortment of reasons, things that are unseen to you as the candidate. But to string someone along so far into the process, and to NEVER REPLY- even to tell me I didn’t the job- is disrespectful.

7 Likes

Victoria Secret is the queen of ghosting!

1 Like

I need to dig up old emails because I would say it happened at least 20 times in the last few years. The most recent i recall was MEDMEN. They liked me on the first talk, she was presenting me to hiring manager and then never got back to me. I called, sent emails and LinkedIn messages. Nothing. I’ll dig up more because a few recruiters did this also so I want to cover them all

3 Likes

I’ve been ghosted quite a few times. I was interviewing with SMCP (Sandro/Maje) and had already gone through 2 phone interviews. I was scheduled to meet with the Director I would be reporting to if I got the job for a final interview. The day of the interview, scheduled at 10AM, I left the house at 8:30AM. I live in Brooklyn and with train traffic, I wanted to give myself time. While enroute, on the subway… I get an email notification. It was the person I was interviewing with, emailing me that they were calling in sick and if we could reschedule. I tried multiple times, various ways to reschedule and I never got a reply, even to at least tell me that they weren’t interested.

The other time was while interviewing with Sociedad Textil Lonia (CH Carolina Herrera). I had interviewed with the in-house recruiter twice, she set up a date and time to interview with the US Director and he never showed up to our video call. The recruiter was agile and very involved, so she rescheduled the meeting, after many apologies. I did get to meet with the US Director via face-time and after our very positive meeting, he in turn scheduled a fourth face-time meeting with the head of HR for Textil Lonia, based out of their Spain headquarters. The HR executive assured me I’d hear back from him or someone in the organization. That was the end of my contact with that company. No replies, no contact.

I think this is absolutely so unprofessional and rude to be ghosted especially during a pandemic where our industry has been turned upside down! A simple thank you for your time and we have selected another candidate is all I am looking for. I always email and follow up but then when you do it again a week later you feel like you did something wrong or you are “too eager, or aggressive!” I understand they are probably slammed but even a copy and pate email is better than nothing so you know where you stand and can continue in your search.

5 Likes

Ghosted? I’ve been ghosted so many times that I’m starting to think I live in a haunted house!

The ones that immediately come to memory are Chloe and Isabel, Marvet Britto, CSNV Studio. For each, after having at least a third-round interview with either the owner or a high-level executive, there was no call or email reply.

It’s completely unprofessional to not simply say “we’ve gone with another candidate”, even if it’s just an automated email. If a company can’t do that much, I don’t have faith in how they treat their staff.

2 Likes

Not only was I ghosted from a Winston Agency recruiter, but I went ahead on my own to apply for a job she had sent my resume 3 months prior. I not only got the interview on my own but consideration for a second call back. When the recruiter found out , she threatened to sue the company because she would not have gotten her commission. Hence the company would not touch me. Find the jobs on your own people esp when you write emails and your “ghosted” .You are not only unsure if the recruiter was let go, on vacation, busy or just ignoring you because there isn’t anything at the moment. Rely on yourself!!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve been ghosted by recruiters more recently. Usually not the case. But with COVID affecting salaries and hourly rates, once I tell them mine, which I believe to be reasonable and conscientious of the economy, I rarely hear back. I feel like all they’re doing are collecting resumes and portfolios. Friend of mine is having similar experiences.

1 Like