Do employers know your medical issues

I’m a recent graduate so I don’t know much about the industry yet. Do employers have access to employees’ medical spending covered by the company health insurance (if they even offer it)? I see a psychiatrist every month and I’m wondering if it would just be better to get personal insurance. I don’t want anyone to know that I have depression and ADHD because that will probably only harm my chances of getting hired and staying hired.

1 Like

An employer does not have access to your medical records. However, they can request a doctor’s note for sick leave, etc. Major depression is included in the American’s with Disabilities Act. Unfortunately depression is still widely stigmatized. I suffer from MDD, but like you, I am concerned about disclosing my condition to an employer. I think that some progress has been made in destigmatizing mental disorders, but not nearly enough.

1 Like

It would be a violation of HiPPA if anyone that wasn’t you or your doctor had access to your medical records without you signing off on it.

1 Like