Associate Designer

58K-65K for assistant is which company? I hope you don’t give kids too high hopes for salary wise.
I’ve working in NYC since 2007- I was one of the lucky one starting 38K back in days, when my other friends started somewhere 28K-35K- (APPARELS) only one friend got 45K cos she got her first job at RL.
I’m in senior/head level past years, so far highest I’ve made was 125K-
but past 5yrs whenever I was given for assistant designer budget was 40-45K, I know some company still pays 30-35K for entry level… which my boss who’s been industry 20+yrs complaining all salary starting/max isnt changed at all…

3 Likes

Yeah, we rarely (if ever) see entry-level design positions, even in New York, above $45K.

2 Likes

This thread is full of ppl actually working in the field. The numbers you are providing your students are highly inaccurate for NYC. $58-65 are Associate Design salaries not Assistant. Assistant in NYC is about 35-45. Please take the feedback you have gotten hear and correct the information you are provided your students.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. I am basing the salary on confirmed salaries when students accept positions. It may depend on the company or skill level, but the students are landing at ranges in the mid $50,000 range. Agree that not all companies pay the same and starting salaries can be challenging.

My first two assistant level jobs in NYC paid under 40,000. I’ve been working in the industry for 5 years now and I just got above 60,000, but it’s now been reduced because of covid.

2 Likes

Agreed my 1st assistant was 35… so low but I just wanted to get my foot in the door. Also it was for a really bad company. But my 2nd job (still an assistant) made up for it a bit at 45.

Most large companies don’t reward loyalty or respect design talent so it’s extremely difficult to stay with one brand and get a large increase in pay. Most associates I know are making anywhere from 40k - 60K. You should keep your options open and think about making a move to another design studio for a larger salary after 2 years; especially if there are no growth opportunities, unless you like the brand you are working for…

My first full time assistant job gave me $42 K and told me I was “lucky” for making “that much” apparently other assistants were paid as low as 35K. This is in NYC.
On the other hand, my friends who got assistant jobs at other companies like RL and MK got paid $58k, which really made me feel like shit about my salary.
I honestly think it’s disgusting that companies think it’s “ok” to pay $38K for an assistant designer, when they have student loans that are more expensive than NYC rent!
When I moved on to my associate level (left for another company) I got a huge pay bump and they offered me $65K. This should be more of what fashion companies actually pay for that level of work.
Again my friends who got a higher salary at the beginning, of course were promoted to a 70-75K when they were associates.
So don’t be afraid to ask a fair price! Especially if you have been an assistant for more than three years(that’s too long)

3 Likes

You have to negotiate after they fall in love with you and before you sign anything. And then every 6-12 month ask how you can improve to gain more responsibilities and pay. Make sure they “need” you and take ownership of things before asked to so you’re less replaceable. I made $55-60 as an assistant, $65-80 as an associate (often working as the main designer :roll_eyes:).

2 Likes

I am an Associate with a large retailer and I currently make 67k, but the role caps at 87k. The pay bands for ALL of our salaried role are open knowledge to all employees. I am currently interviewing with an equally large retailer for a lateral move, and plan to ask mid-high 80’s for the position. This is based on level of education, years in the industry, special skills, and of course wanting a reasonable increase from where I am currently at. 41k is unacceptable. As an Assistant at my current company I made 58k. I know our field is competitive but please don’t sell yourself short. Echoing what someone else said - the bigger companies tend to pay more so it might be worth a jump for a bit to level up.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is nice to hear, My hope is in the future pay will be open knowledge everywhere and not such a hush hush conversation. I’m actually at a large retailer, as they love to remind us a billion dollar company, which is part of my frustration. At this point I’m looking to move on, because i feel I’m ultimately being robbed.

1 Like

How many years of experience do you have?

I just got offered an associate design position for 60k, smaller company (~70 employees). I graduated in 2019, was unemployed for 6 months during lockdown, so I have about 2 years of experience total that are not internships… Do you guys think that’s still a good salary for me now in 2022?

1 Like

In this market, with 2 years of experience… yes, this is a good salary! I’m older, but I made wayyyyyy less than that for my first 5 years in design!

Take it and learn as much as you can :smile: Good experience is always valuable!

2 Likes

Yes that’s good. Max I’ve seen for associate is 70k min 55. You’re lucky they didn’t try to offer you an assistant since you only have 2 yrs experience at 45

1 Like