Are the white Karens of HR and talent acquisition team the problem in the low numbers in Black and POC hiring? Are they to blame?

“from a pretty f***king racist and offensive comic opera” -adding asterisks doesn’t keep it from being cursing.

First. it was not a racist play. As noted, it was the exact opposite. Second, it was 135 years ago. You cannot apply the standards of today to those from over over a century ago.

Maybe I should have said I took the moniker Grand Poobah from Brand Nubian? :slight_smile:

How many Japanese actors were available in England during the 1800s? You are really reaching.

No one is disputing your right to your “voice”
but disrespect will not get you power or a leg up in this world—if that’s your end goal.

It’s delusional to think you can bully or guilt-trip an entire industry with your sense of entitlement.

Go start your own company & hire POC instead of whining about the mean old white people. Why should a company want to elevate someone with such a belligerent & hateful attitude? No one owes you a thing!

1 Like

Is anyone reading the news? Retailers and manufacturers are dropping like flies and we’re on the brink of a fascist dictatorship.

Be grateful you have a job and be thankful you’re living in a more progressive time and don’t have to be sexually harassed & threatened by white male executives at every turn in order to keep it.

And don’t dare lecture me about white privilege or what my past companies were like. Regardless of race, if you are a woman you have it much better than previous generations. Be thankful!

noted! white actors in yellow face is not racist! Got it! Oh!? that’s a swear it actually spells “Fooking” in an asian accent! I guess that’s not racist either?

And uh just be warned, since I’m using vulgar terms explain it’s context., “Motherfucker” “Nigger” comes from early 1800’s. So yes you can apply the standards of today to those from over over a century ago.

This thread has gone off the rails. No one is really listening. This is a screaming match in text form.

3 Likes

Don’t you dare lecture me on experiences BASED on YOUR privileges. And I unlike YOU can’t say things like “regardless of race” because I am not white, nor have I EVER reaped the benefits of white privilege.

Also don’t mention reading when you’ve demonstrated that you don’t want or care to read!

Oh and I am thankful, thankful that minds like yours are being pushed out of the industry for progressive thinkers open to change and dialogue.

Be well!

1 Like

It has indeed, and it’s unfortunate because it started off as solid dialogue or at the very least potential for solid dialogue, with even more potential for growth and understanding. Especially with the current climate of the world. Now it just seems like a space for continued dismissiveness unfortunately.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right we are at much more progressive times. We can be thankful and we can also CONTINUE to make things more productive and progressive for future generations. If you had to deal with that by your white male executive, I’m sorry that had happened to you.

But try to understand that being a black women and white womens doesn’t hold the same experience in climbing the corporate world. Not that every black women’s experience is the same but there are vaguely similar repetitions of micro-aggression, discrimination, oppression etc etc that happens more often to Black women than to white women. Systemically Black women are more at a disadvantage in careers compared to white women.

2 Likes

You don’t know who I am, where I’ve worked —where I work now, or what my life has been like so your assessment is meaningless.

As for your entitlement and ageist comments—one day you too will get old and find that the world cares about you even less than it does now—so enjoy your youth & your arrogant naïveté while it lasts.

And don’t delude yourself about today’s companies being “progressive thinkers”. This is not a new concept & has been in play for decades. Businesses care about one thing: MONEY!

The rest is smoke and mirrors. And BS.

1 Like

If my assessment is so meaningless why mention it? I think some of my information is beginning to reach you, small victories!

The difference between you and I is, I won’t be old in fashion :wink:

I like that you recognize my entitlement, i recognize it too. Now, I beseech you to recognize yours :upside_down_face: as you’ve continually failed to in poor attempts to create off topic redirects.

No, white actors from 135 years ago playing Asian characters is not racist. Neither is the use of Grand Poobah. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

The play you are referencing used Japanese characters. According to Wikipedia there were only 264 Japanese citizens in the whole of Britain at that time. Even if they wanted Japanese actors to fill Japanese roles, it would have been impossible to find any.

Again, you are really reaching and quite honestly, hurting your own cause.

1 Like

Yeah this thread had kinda died :-/ which is unfortunate.

1 Like

There’s a thread on ageism if you want to continue rant there. You officially killed this thread. Thank you.

I’ve worked in numerous industries, and the garment business is by far one of the most vicious, brutal & cutthroat industries of all.

You’re right, a white person has no way of understanding the micro aggressions that POC experience, but they are not exclusively directed at POC - white people also abuse each other.

Micro aggressions are the hallmark of a hostile work environment and everyone experiences them. It starts at the top.

I found working in the fashion business, especially as a young person—but really at any age, to be like running an emotional gauntlet every day and it’s the reason I stepped away for many years.

At entry level, I was abused by upper management and clients. And if people smell vulnerability, it’s worse.

I can’t think of a more toxic work environment than fashion. People are cruel for sport. I’ve witnessed European export managers ripping apart their best clients (behind their backs of course) for their weight or what they were wearing.

It’s a shallow, superficial and nasty business. It should be creative & fun, but unfortunately it’s not. It’s a nightmarish psycho-drama, which is why I prefer to work alone.

keep telling yourself that hun. I’m surprised you’re even a leader on Schmatte considering your very old fashion mind set. Although yellow face and black face wasn’t considered racist back then by white people its still racist regardless. Just because no one was vocal enough to speak up about it back then doesn’t mean it wasn’t ever racist.

Even if there’s a lack of asian people, it’s still racist to portray them stereotypically. It doesn’t matter if it was 200 years ago.

2 Likes

Benetton was doing the progressive, multicultural thing 40 years ago.

1 Like

No one ever said it was new. Also never said progression meant just diversity in representation…

Read the link in the marketing section—it’s all about diversity in representation. They had billboards everywhere depicting and trying to promote diversity.

Younger people (and I was guilty of this) have a tendency to think everything they are experiencing is new because it’s new to them.

“Progressive” is an age old theme. Every generation thinks they’re more progressive than the last. And in some ways they are—but basic human nature really never changes, as is evidenced by the state of the world today.

Human beings have been oppressing one another for thousands of years. It’s all about survival and power. This guy said it very succinctly a long time ago:

2 Likes

Thanks for mapping this out, I’m an executive in Design and I’ve made a meaningful effort to put this across to students when I taught, as well as launching employees I’ve invested in over the years. Wonderful to have the open dialogue with your side of the process.

I’ve received a lot of odd pressure surrounding salary formula throughout my career. For what it’s worth to the prospective candidates reading this, to the HR question “what are you currently making/what did you earn at your last job” I’ve found it most effective to cheerfully redirect with “for this position I would charge $xxx base salary and etc… etc… rest of package.” and leave it at that.

When this statement has been challenged with hostility, which unfortunately has happened quite a bit over the years, I came to conclude company X and I would likely be philosophically incompatible in regards to team development. My advice; apply to many jobs to create the most opportunity for choice and process learning. Be curious and approach negotiations with excitement and and collaboration. If this attitude is met with hostility, same as with any other relationship in life; move on.

Understood that in the immediate climate a candidate may not have the freedom to be choosey. When less hungry times return, remember there are a lot of fantastic talent acquisition teams and environments to invest in; make the effort to find and authentically collaborate with them. Remember that you are interviewing EACH OTHER, it’s not a one way street.

6 Likes