Anybody here work in fashion accessories? Need to know pay range!

Hi! I work primarily in fashion accessories and some home goods. I have noticed everyone here seems to post higher salaries and am wondering if that’s because most people here are in apparel?
Or have I always just been paid too little?
I have 20 years experience and have never been paid more than 70k. I see most people here laugh at salaries so low but its really the most I ever made. I do not want to be in a management position, running a division but I still think something is wrong with pay this low.

I am only looking for freelance work now and have no idea of what I can ask for. Most companies seem to offer $35 an hour. American Eagle Outfitters even offered $25 an hour! I said no.

I recently quoted $55 to a home textile company and they were fine with it. They were actually looking for a full time person but needed something quick. So Im not sure if this will be a regular thing.

I now have an interview with Cudlie accessories and want to know what I can ask for as a freelance rate. I am so used to low pay that I feel like an imposter asking for more. Anyone have any experience with Cudlie?

Also it is annoying that the ad did not list any salary range. Just said they were looking for full-time or freelance. And they want me to come in for an interview. Seems like no one is open to a Zoom call. A little frustrating because I have to commute from Brooklyn for essentially a 15 minute interview and they may offer me some ridiculously low pay. Any suggestions on how to ask pay range by email without seeming too obnoxious?

1 Like

I don’t know what it like working FOR Cudlie, but they have been a great company to work with over the years. :slight_smile:

Stand up for what you are worth !
20 years of experience! I would not accept anything less than $50/hr for freelance. Maybe market yourself as more long-term freelance /not just a gig worker. Network, network, network - there must be people you worked with over the years that will refer you?

1 Like

I don’t know about Cudlie, but, I’m at 15 years in accessories. Before I was laid off as a Sr. Designer I was at $110k as an annual salary. That’s with some regular(ish) moving around. For a point of reference.

I, too, have seen they want freelancers in accessories for around $35k, which is very frustrating.

Same as @MrsB Stand up for what you’re worth! I got to 110 by, asking around to see what everyone else was getting paid and making my case that is the market rate against competitors, FWIW.

2 Likes