3D vs PLM - Is our industry ready for 3D?

There are an increasing number of job listings on StyleCareers.com that reference 3D apparel design and technical design. What are the top technology providers in this space?

So far I’ve been using just CLO, although I see many companies using Browzwear (I do not understand this name).

It sounds like Browzwear does have the ability to customize avatars, but most people I talk to about it seem to not like the software much. Plus, it’s super expensive.

I love CLO bc it’s so accessible, only $50 a month! I think/hope CLO will win out, particularly since it already has a hold on the animation business. As these two worlds (virtual and real) start to collide, I would think they’d have an advantage. I suppose we’ll see!

2 Likes

Browzwear is required for Walmart, and I think Target and Kohl’s use it too. I like the accessibilty of CLO too. The technology for 3D design is changing & updating constantly, but since CLO-3D was originally developed as Marvelous Designer for the gaming world, it probably does have an advantage on the video capability aspects.

3 Likes

CLO and Browzwear seem to be the two main 3D design applications for the fashion industry; at least according to this discussion. Are there others?

Optitex, Gerber/Lectra, Tukatech, and some others in Europe and Far East.

I think every market will need intergrate 3D to become more sustainable. The amount of waste in the proto and sampling process is atrocious, forget the carbon emissions from airing this stuff allover the world. 3D is a great way to tackle it and make an immediate impact.

I use Browzwear and really love it, but the price does make it more inaccessible for small and independent designers. They do have the indie program, which is how I learned the program for free, but its unclear how long it will remain in place.

Each program has its pros and cons, its really about what the best fit for you or the company’s needs. Browzwear comes from an apparel background, so its grounded in more technical realities than clo. However, Clo can do all sorts of accessories (hangbags, belts, etc) in addition to apparel which is amazing. Since Clo had a gaming background, there appears to be a bit more freedom, but its not quite as tied to real world physics. Opitex comes from a 2D pattern making background, so that’s where their strength lies, can make production ready patterns. Tukatech is an incredible program and truly an end to end solution, but its completely proprietary so your vendors have to use as well, and also super expensive! (i heard 40k)

2 Likes

Agreed. In your opinion, does the expense of the programs outweigh the expense of sampling? And do you think that the technology is currently sufficient to assure a truly accurate fit?

The expense of sampling significantly outweighs the cost of the program, especially when air freight and photography taken into consideration. In my experience, sampling rivals payroll as largest budget item within design departments. On the vendor side, sampling charges are mostly just to offset the cost and don’t even come close to covering the actual cost of development, the hope being the cost will be recouped in bulk orders.

We are new to the program, so haven’t validated fit against real world samples, but I have heard good things.

1 Like

Thank you! Such exciting new technology! Please keep us updated as your experience develops.

1 Like

3-D In fashion design is the process of developing a 3-D prototype out of 2-D, digital pattern, with the help of 3D technology, Designer can now build a 3-D garment directly on a digital avatar of their size. 3-D digital design heads, brand, design, and simple clothing more quickly, and with less waste. This is a great innovation in fashion industry. 3D has been in the market for so many other industry, for many years, though as a designer, I am happy that I will be implementing my designs in 3-D software.
Thanks

1 Like

3D can be great to reduce sampling costs, but to truly be effective you still need to be(or have a technician who is) an expert at 2D patternmaking & construction. You have to know all the plies of fabric, interfacings, linings etc stack, how all your seam allowances will lay, order of operations etc, which may be different IRL than in the 3D virtual process.

4 Likes