3D CADs for Accessories (softgoods)

What is everyone using for their 3D CADs? Or are you?

I’m looking into Romans, Cinema 4D, Marvelous Designer, Optitex. I’m kind of at a loss but I know that this is where things are headed.

Is there any program that you’ve worked with and liked? Or hated?

I appreciate your thoughts.

I’ve been playing with Adobe Dimension since it comes with Creative Cloud. It’s pretty easy although I want to learn more about how to make my own templates. I’ve watched many videos on it and they are mostly hard goods.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think to look at Adobe. Thanks!

1 Like

From what ive read nike uses adobe software to do 3D design on shoes. There is another shoe company out there that uses adobe dimensions for their own shoe designs.

This is helpful, had no idea adobe already had program included in creative cloud! Going to try it out, also in the process of beginning to learn clo 3d.

1 Like

Great, glad to help. Watch tutorials on you tube

1 Like

I started playing with Adobe Dimensions. Also I heard that Blender is a good free modeling software program where you can make your own models, but I have’t tried it yet. It gets excellent reviews. Dimensions may be limiting. Lynda.com has tutorials for it. If you live in LA and have a Los Angeles library card, Lynda.com is free.

3 Likes

Lynda.com is also free in the NY Library system.

2 Likes

Ouuu let me know how clo goes. I see you can get a personal license for $500 a yr. Not too shabby for a 3-D program. And I’m sure as more ppl sign up and other programs come to market the price will lower.

1 Like

I’ve used Optitex and Browzwear. Optitex was fun! Browzwear crashed like crazy.

2 Likes

I just started playing around with CLO3D after being blown away by what it could do in a workshop on zero-waste patternmaking. The draping is JUST like IRL! Except a lot slower if you’re on a lil’ old computer like I am. Still, it’s the best one I’ve seen for cohesiveness between the 3D draped garment and the pattern. All those young tech designers (and designers!) who’ve never actually draped a pattern should pony up the measly $50/month and start playing around. It’s got pre-loaded different avatars, great range of textiles, and even a few patterns.

Great to know!

I finally got around to making stuff on Adobe Dimensions, just making easy shapes; It’s quite the process. I have to build out all my models based on my existing Adobe CADs. You really have to jump among Illustrator, Photoshop and Dimensions a lot. Also, because Dimensions (so far as I can tell) have textures that are limited, I’ve been building out my textures, which is also time consuming. I don’t see this as really workable for a whole season’s worth of CADs, unless you had a whole team of people to help you. I don’t even see it as being feasible season after season, just because there’s no function that makes it easy to change your models, say changing a sleeve but keeping the bodice the same. But I don’t know how easy that is to do on, say, CLO 3d either.

CLO3D avatars just wear whatever you put in the pattern space. So you could grab a sleeve from one style, body from another, copy them into a new pattern and load that to play with. I love how simple their program is. I’m just starting on it but I can already see its potential.

I just found out about this 3D tech festival
It’s going on for the next few days and it’s free if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Are you talking about MOTIF?

Yeah this talk sounds pretty interesting

1 Like

Definitely going to check it out!