Will the fashion industry ever return to normal?

I’m looking for the educated opinions of The Schmatte users as to whether or not the Apparel, Accessories, Footwear, Textiles, etc… industries will ever be like it was in the 2000s and 20teens?

Everyone has to wear clothes, right?

My opinion is that the majority of the fashion industry will continue to decline. I think there will be some categories that will hold their own or expand - ‘athleisure’ will transform and grow as many people will go to FT or PT WFH; sneakers/athletic shoes will grow; demand will continue for luxury brands by the customer base whose income has not been impacted by the pandemic. But the overall fashion industry will continue to decline, as consumers have different apparel needs; people become more cautious with how they spend their money; and Gen Z & younger consumers show more engagement with sustainability and quite frankly, show disdain for mass consumerism. The growth will be in home categories - both soft and hard goods.
Authenticity is key to capturing today’s customer, and most ‘traditional’ retailers and brands don’t have a clue how to engage with the customer in an authentic way.
For years retailers have put out the same old thing season after season, and the shopping experience was/is boring and homogeneous. Every store looks the same. Not all of the retailers and brands that survived to date will make it in the long run. They aren’t needed, and many will not be able to adapt to the changing needs & values of the customer. Only those implementing true innovation will survive.

6 Likes

I think two major things need to happen. First, designers need to design clothes/footwear/handbags/etc… that are MORE compelling than smartphones and streaming services. Second, we need merchandisers who have the guts to take chances on these designs.

I can only speak to menswear but during the recession in the early 90s, fashion took a nose dive; everything looked the same, same silhouettes, same colors. Designers were told to make what sold the previous year. The innovation and chance taking of the 80’s were replaced by tan sweater vests and pleated jeans. :frowning:

5 Likes

I just read a very good article on thezoereport.com from August 17 - Should the trend cycle even exist anymore? Article addresses and expands on some of the issues I mentioned above. Fashion is definitely changing…

2 Likes

on the home fashion design front, major companies are failing or going out of business. Retailers are closing. Market week is ‘virtual’. Textile building sold, showrooms scattered , closed. Home products have been lackluster for years now, majority of the products cheaply made in overseas factories, colors and designs reflecting narrow, repetitive themes. The industry is ready for a reboot, ready for better quality product, better design, better fabrics and constructions. We can no longer afford to import the bulk of the goods from China, India and Pakistan. Until we start to offer more desirable goods people will spend money in other categories. For now, many of us are on our limited income and that is going to necessities. Hopefully, we can dig out and improve our economy and create a demand and create jobs to support shopping again. Homegoods is doing well. Steinmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, are failing.

4 Likes

This is an evolution of our culture. The “regular” consumer is much more focused on things other than fashion…and generations are coming up that are nearly anti-fashion. Everyone needs clothing, but not as much as what we had been purchasing before. The “trend” of casual, authentic, and responsible attire will continue to grow for the next 5-8 years. There will continue to be clothing retailers and brands that connect to this consumer, and they will flourish. Read the room. No consumer wants what we had before. Unfortunately, many of us will lose our livelihoods because of that…but we can’t stop the movement. We can only learn to ride the wave.

4 Likes

Do we know what companies are resonating with the consumer now? I know that we will be able to see who emerges from the ashes in the next year, but I wonder who is getting through this now.

Bridal…girls will always get married…well most all…styles may change; needs and budgets may have to be adjusted…I started a preloved bridal business online to start with plans of doing pop-ups - my initial concept was evening gown rentals but with current restrictions obviously no one is attending black tie events or prom…Weddings are definitely simpler right now with a lot of brides going minimalistic with plans of “the real thing” next year or beyond.

1 Like

In a nutshell: no, nor should it…the model had not changed in 100 yrs and clearly was not sustainable nor was it Labor friendly. Retailing was destroyed by offshore production, the tail wagging the dog, customers had no say, and educated professional merchants were replaced by widget mentality “business people” who know nothing about fashion retailing, only their quest for ever expanding quarterly profits…absurd and low at the outcome. We are here now and we have a great opportunity to reconsider and reimagine how we will move forward…people actually need clothes & shoes, one of the 4 essentials in life…they need to offer real value and also be authentic, no more cheap knock offs and sweatshop.forced labor…and real customer service at every level is essential. Money grubbing Wall Streeters should be bared from fashion companies, they are literal destroyers, look at the results we have, and not due to Covid, this has been going on for some time and now we are here, the end of that road to nowhere.

5 Likes

over the last six months retail has been destroyed last the fashion industry that most people know has proved itself as totally irrelevant. However the industry being what it is, and time lines 12 months ahead, companies have staff churning more product out when. it just may no longer seem important to people. Right now, who needs it, where are you going to need it. Over confidence that things ‘will back to normal’ could cause a huge implosion.
People are trying to get food, Keep a roof over their heads and save their lives.I see many job ads for marketing, why? It will be very hard to get customers interested again. As a fashion industry professional for decades I have always had a problem with the manipulation of the consumer at the expense of their self esteem. It is a toxic industry, that does not care about that, or their staff

I think the capital ‘I’ Industry will change found in major cities and upheld by the big fashion houses and commercial brands (see: mass corporate layoffs), but that’s not all fashion. The circular economy and sustainable textiles will emerge as a priority. The democratization of the internet has empowered many smaller, niche brands to be able to topple over large dept. stores. Entry to market has become so much easier that there will be more options and as a result less gate keeping. More opportunity to work for smaller or independent brands.

1 Like

Going to fashion school and seeing first-hand what senior leadership looked like in a lot of brands whose stories resonated with me at the time was so disillusioning! It’s sad how rare it is to find a brand that isn’t run by a hedgie for a profit under the guise of an interesting mission or style.

1 Like

I can only say to work for a design driven company w/ integrity headed by master designer(s) and professional fashion staff…Wall Streeters are just money people, they are trained to think in therm of widgets,no ethics in business, and they know nothing about fashion, manufacturing or retail, their only goal is to increase profits at unrealistic levels every quarter. Hedge Fund guys are the worst and the kiss of death for any company they latch onto. So follow the talent not the illusion of money presented by the greedy so called “business people” whose only business is to line their pockets many times over…not for fine products, or customer service or for creating important retail businesses…they are predatory not entrepreneurial. So research the company you think you want to work for and ask yourself why they appeal to you and what will you gain in terms of experience and your long term career goals go. Like dating or marriage be very careful whom you get into bed with or suffer the consequences which can destroy your hopes & dreams. Fashion needs great talent, do not give up but please beware of these money grubbing hacks who have done so much to destroy some of the greatest companies and most of fashion & retail. They take and do not create…just be clear on that and what the motivations of these widget mentality people are. Best of luck and may you have a long and happy career in fashion…we need real talent and dedicated designers and merchants now more than ever. Stay safe and be well always!
SG

1 Like

I agree, but let’s not say that’s solely the designer’s task. It should be on the shoulders of the merchandisers, sales people (at the wholesale level), and buyers who keep wanting safe, cheap things… Designers usually provide newness, and then it gets watered down due to cost or lack of risk taking on the buyer’s part. Let’s also say that brands need to actually hire designers with experience, and not have someone, like sales, provide the trend info…and actually trust the expert designer they had hired to steer them right.

3 Likes

I think we are saying the same thing. :wink:

There is no question fashion is dead. If you are doing it correctly, fashion should “die” every few years or so and be reinvented. But, if you mean in terms of in the context of our society then, yes, that as well.
I posit that fashion as opposed to clothing has only one real function- to drive status within your social strata. That is why many people wear comfortable clothing at home that they would never be caught dead in out in public. Well, if now we are, as a society, less inclined to go into public, there goes a major driver of fashion. And it doesn’t transfer over a phone or Zoom call. Also, with the masks that, in general are unattractive, even if you wear an amazing dress or great suit, if half your face is covered up, you won’t ever look “amazing”. Who is going to spend $5K on a suit or dress if they don’t look amazing!

2 Likes

Die every few years only to be reinvented? This would apply to rock and roll, too. :slight_smile:

Rock and roll will never die.
-Neil Young

1 Like

Unfortunately with COVID-19 this business has been devastated a handful of companies that will stay in business the rest will be go out of business. The building at work and used to be 92% occupancy now it’s 10% occupancy do I have to say anymore

This is so beyond sad. What are we all going to do? Any ideas? Im open minded