Technical Designer Fit Tests

Have other technical designers had to do take-home fit tests when applying for jobs? I recently submitted an at-home fit test for a company but did not get the job. I followed up with the person who interviewed me and she did not give me any feedback as to why I did not get the position, just sent me the generic, sorry we moved forward with another candidate. I was a little surprised because she seemed very impressed during my fit test presentation, and the interviews seemed to go very well. Curious if anyone else on the tech side has had similar experiences. Also, how do other techs handle fit tests? Is there a norm or a standard as these tests are concerned? Just curious, and also, I would like to be better prepared for future interviews that may require testing.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a take-home fit test!

I have had to do fit tests, in house, on occasion during or after the interview portion. Each company has done something a little different, basically just to get a sense that you know what you’re doing, and that you know how to use the software. (Flashback to years ago when my boss hired a tech Designer who asked me- what does HPS mean? :exploding_head:)

At Forever 21, they gave me a garment to measure, then had me step into an ongoing fitting with a designer and model. I fit the garment, making adjustments as needed for fit and aesthetics, and then I made those changes- revising the sketch/construction in illustrator, and wrote up fit comments/spec changes in excel. (probably that was easier than teaching me their PLM system). Other companies have done something similar, though sometimes it was more basic, adjusting a sample on a mannequin, etc.

Sorry to hear about the way this opportunity didn’t work out, there’s nothing more frustrating than not knowing why it goes that way, but you never know, it could be due to money or internal changes, and most likely had nothing to do with your skills :).

5 Likes

Thanks so much @twirlgirl This is very helpful!

I have been through this a few times - nothing in person. I was sent photos of garments, sometimes with a drawing and sometimes not. Depending on the “assignment” , I have been asked for fit comments, a list of POMs to revise, revise the tech flat, very specific comments on how I would alter a pattern and so on. Had I moved forward in the process, the next steps for one of the brands was to join in on an in person fitting.
The feedback I received was positive but they just decided to move forward with someone with “more experience” - which I have decided is code for, we liked someone better than you and we have no real reason why we did not move forward with you.

1 Like

Yes, I have had to do a " fit test". Attended fitting, made fit comments/ revised tech pack measurements/detailed instructions for pattern correction, photos corrected in Illustrator etc. Didn’t get the job, but I know they went with someone who hadway less experience for a lower salary. That job was posted again a few months later. You get what you pay for. The job I did take didn’t require a fit test, I was hired for experience, fit with company cultute, and there were many mutual connections that they could- and did- call for references.

3 Likes