S2 Sportswear Inc

Has anyone worked/ interviewed at this place before?
It feels strange that they are asking a project within 24 hours as a pressure test, there is a requirement sheet for what they want and says tech pack optional. I submitted without tech pack example but the owner chased me through both email and phone, to submit one ASAP.
Also, they don’t send formal emails just through job site’s inbox email.

1 Like

Why would they say its optional and then hound you for it anyways?

Sounds fishy to me, but I guess check it out since Covid is rampant.

2 Likes

That’s exactly my thoughts with Covid! But can’t shake this feeling of maybe they are collecting portfolios?

1 Like

I have had this happen to me before… with several giants in the industry in their day. Warner Swimwear (2006) in LA and a division of B.U.M. International (early 90s). I have no idea if Warner copied my ideas, but I gave them several outstandingly strong presentations and they ‘held onto’ my book for several weeks without a word to me. I finally told them I needed it back and went and picked it up. I never heard from them again. No “thank you” no nothing. With B.U.M. they actually COPIED my ideas VERBATIM. Changed the entire direction of their line to copy my ideas. I know this as I got a different job in a different division within the same company. I. Was. Furious. My boss told me to leave it alone (since I worked there) - but it DEFINITELY happens. I’ve also had freelance jobs try to do the same. I wouldn’t give them anything without a signed contract. They pushed and pushed and it sounded like such a fun job, I was dying for it to happen, but when I stuck to my guns on the contact they disappeared. A disappointing but valuable lesson. With these guys, I’d tell them you’ll give them a ‘spec pack’ but do it for other less than interesting designs. Really, if they want to hire you, they want to see that you can DO a spec pack, it shouldn’t have to be for what designs you’ve already given them. If they complain, explain this stance. If they still complain, use my story as a way to say, I’m not getting screwed again. My guess is, if they legit want to hire you, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Business people are desperate and sleazy and designers have talent which comes at a price. Don’t give it away for free, because people will gladly take it.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience, that sounds horrible.
I did submit one sample spec pack for one easier design and as you said, they disappeared, not acknowledging that they received my work.
I guess I will wait for a couple of days to see if there are any feedbacks from them and update on here, so people won’t throw away their work to them again.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. At the very least, you didn’t give anything away for free! :muscle: :muscle:

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me with Allbirds. High pressure everything but the kitchen sink test, said I passed with flying colors when no one else did, had the best interview of my life and then they tried to ghost me. After several emails asking for an update I received a response that they went with another candidate but they reposted the same job a week later with a slightly different title. They reposted again a short time later with another suspiciously similar title. There was more too but don’t feel comfortable giving details in case I do ever go back to the industry. I’m leery of burning any bridges.

1 Like

All the red flags. If they’re asking for tech packs to correspond to your project (vs. sample work or a timed in-office test to gauge your proficiency) they are very likely to be trying to get your free labor.

Sounds like portfolio/idea collection. I got ghosted by Reformation after they asked for SMM/copywriter for Instagram.
I followed up, contacted them. Weeks later I got rejection letter. Total port collection on their behalf. So watch your back.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! As of today, I haven’t heard back from this employer which has been a week, I check the job posting is closed as well. It might be that they fill the position and don’t care to give this information to other candidates or, collecting portfolios. Beware of this company people!

1 Like