Hows everyone doing with job search?

Just checking out hows everyone doing and trying to see hows business doing in general…

Despite the economy/job market has been strong in US, somwhow I dont feel that doesn’t reflect in our industry…fashion/retail-
I’m not happy with my current job, have been searching for new opportunities, since new year-
On top of it, the company business seems not that great recently- and hearing the similar stories from the industry peeps/friends…
I used to get emails/DM from recruiters, but haven’t received much since last winter-
Also do not see much job openings above senior roles these days- am I the only one who feel in this way?

2 Likes

You are correct with what you are seeing. The job market is very tight and competitive right now. Most companies are promoting from within to save money and any senior-level position that’s posted immediately has 100 plus applications. Also since this is an election year so many companies have hiring freezes and or are downsizing.

3 Likes

yes hiring freeze in our company
as well ( home textile company). Salaries are still low for senior positions. My company is using freelancers rather than hiring full time people in the design department. Covid definitely affected fashion and home textile fashion companies in a big way and I think it is going to take a long time for salaries to get back to what they were before 2020 if they evr go back. It brakes my heart to witness it!

3 Likes

I can confirm all of this. Fashion industry hiring is down. Companies are taking longer to make hiring decisions. Workers are being asked to do more.

When people have to spend more (a lot more) on food/rent/electricity/etc… industries that are dependent on discretionary spending (apparel, accessories & footwear) all suffer.

2 Likes

re: Tech design, many companies are only doing temp hiring- 3 month contracts- to lowball compensation and avoid having to pay for benefits. I know of one company that has been doing this for a few years now, they get 15K budget approved, bring in someone & spend down the 15K, then end contract & repeat the process with a different person. So this company now has a reputation as a revolving door…also the product suffers because of the inconsistency.

2 Likes