Still furloughed? Or unemployed?

Have you looked at Sew Heidi at all? She has some great podcasts on freelance.

2 Likes

Same. Lost my job March 2020 and have been given the runaround ever since. Lost out in a few jobs, have done projects, have been ghosted too many times, etc. My portfolio and experience is very specific so I’m sure that doesn’t help. Plus I’m over 50, even though I think I present younger, it doesn’t matter. I never had these issues getting a job, but covid enabled these companies to do a hard reset and they all want experience with entry level salaries. Or they post Korean/Chinese speaking required.
So now I’m too senior level for most things out there, plus I don’t do CADS (even though I’m not computer illiterate, I do tech packs and work with China etc).
I’m willing to pivot to another career but I’m lost as to what. I’m not qualified for anything else. I was even rejected from retail jobs! So that’s the state of things right now, I’m glad to know I’m not alone!

6 Likes

I was the breadwinner of my family and laid off from a great job while 5 months pregnant in July 2020. I started my search in March 2021 and expanded my search to include a lower position than my previous role. I’m still searching. I’ve lost count of how many jobs I’ve applied for, but have had 9 screener interviews with HR, 7 interviews with HMs, and done 4 intense projects (while caring for a newborn).
Of the 4 projects…
1 hired internally
1 went with another candidate
1 put the position on hold
1 ghosted me
I love taking care of my baby…but I NEED to work.
Thanks for letting me vent.

10 Likes

It’s really tough out there. Hang in there. You will find something soon.

2 Likes

Yes it is tough out there but I am sure you will find something. It may not be the dream job yet but you will find something. Your persistence and willing to get a job will get you there. The fashion need more people like you! Good luck and don’t give up, it will pay off.

Don’t give hope up- I got let go at the begining of Covid, took me 6mth to get back to the job- same title with severe paycut :((( I had to take something to keeping me float-
Now I’m waiting my offer letter to the other company with much better opportunity-! + back to old pay!
Use all the possible networking- Something is out there!!

Our company is having trouble finding employees at the moment. This is on the graphics, apparel design, and tech design side.
I’m reading a lot in this thread how there are very few jobs. We had people leave as well and find employment pretty quickly. This is in the NYC area so I’m not sure whether it is different in other regions.

1 Like

I’m also in NYC, I’ve noticed an uptick in postings lately. How much they pay, that I don’t know

You should tell your company to use StyleCareers.com. :wink:

We are showing an uptick in hiring as well.

We do! We use recruiters that post on Stylecareers.