New law: Salaries required on job postings

Have you guys heard about the new law that will require job postings in the city to put salary ranges for minimum and maximum pay??? If it isn’t vetoed on the 16th it will go into law and start in April!!

What are your thoughts??

13 Likes

I like this idea. I think it will prevent a lot of wasted applications and interviews.

8 Likes

Ooooh this going to cut down on so much wasted time. I hate the song and dance of recruiting. “ I have a job are you interested? No I can’t tell you who or how much until you send me your resume and salary requirements.” This method is soooo outdated.

11 Likes

In other industries - tech, digital media, e-commerce - the recruiter or HR person discuss salary before they move you up the pipeline. They want to know if it’s a fit before wasting everyone’s time.

4 Likes

Something tells me we’ll all be applying for jobs that have a 40k-150k range posted… ​

I guess I’m skeptical and have very little faith in agencies, recruiters, etc.
How else will the industry skirt the law to not reveal to their tenured employees that they are underpaid?

11 Likes

I also think posting extreme highs will be a problem. But overtime those companies will be known for doing just that and they will get a reputation for wasting ppls time.

2 Likes

I think salary transparency is an amazing step in worker’s rights and I really hope the mayor doesn’t veto it. Luckily even if he does, the city council can still pass without him. We will find out soon!!!

Remember a couple of years ago when they made it illegal to ask salary history? The industry was all in a tizzy, but adjusted and now it’s totally normal.

There is a similar law in Colorado, many companies skirt the requirement but saying the job isn’t available to residents of that state. if it becomes required in NYC it’s going to put so much pressure on employers/recruiters since so many companies are located here and demand local talent.

1 Like

Ooooh that’s an interesting way to skirt the law but I think that sounds illegal…at least as I understand New York’s proposed law. It says any company in the city….I don’t think it matters where the applicant resides, it’s about the companies location. I just think places like glassdoor will help to flush this out even more if places are being nefarious.

1 Like

Lollllll that is hilarious. There should be a part of the bill explaining the guidelines for salary range.

Here is the link to the actual bill if anyone cares to read:

I’m going to look into it.

1 Like

@grandpoobah - The law will be enacted in May, how do you plan to roll out on style careers?

1 Like

@BrooklynDesigner, StyleCareers already provides salary fields for employers. We’ll add a pop-up that reminds recruiters that they are required to include salary information for jobs posted in NYC.

Ultimately, at least according to the law, the responsibility is on the employer side; all we can do is encourage.

1 Like

@grandpoobah Perhaps style careers could make salary range a required for the areas where it is the law? Currently CO and NYC. 3 other states have similar pending legislation, so this will be something that all job posting sites will need to contend with in the near future. It was only a few months ago we were discussing this same exact topic in another post.

Salary transparency is great step in closing the pay gap that disproportionately effects women, poc, and the lgbtq+ communities. As a white man in a position of authority, you could help enforce the new law and make a huge impact.

A law without enforcement is toothless. We need your support. Please help

2 Likes

Our job listings are based on Regions, not cities. A job posted in NJ is in our NY Metro region but is not covered by the same law. We’ll do everything we can to help but we have select challenges from a technical standpoint.

1 Like

Im going to respectfully pushback and suggest that it sounds like a reasonable fix would be to update your job listing location sorting so that you are also within compliance. ‘NY region’ will no longer be relevant under the new law (it sounds like you anticipate it will definitely be used as a loophole), and it should not be a reason for job seekers to not have the information they will legally be entitled to.

Once you redefine your location parameters,
this is an issue that your developer could easily solve with an update to your CMS. Ex: IF region selected is NY, THEN salary field is required to be filled to post.

2 Likes

Agreed. If someone is posting a job for NY they shouldn’t be able to proceed with uploading a listing if the salary range isn’t entered. If they don’t make people posting jobs for NY do it I will no longer use their job site. Because I’m sure LinkedIn will make it so they can’t post anything without the salary for NY.

2 Likes

We hope to find a good solution. Rest assured that the tech is not the biggest issue we are facing; there are multiple fronts on this issue and we are doing our best to balance all of them.

Given our long standing in the industry, I would hope that people would know that our default is to always do what is best for the job seeker.

I do think the best solution would include following the law, could you explain what other issues you are facing?

No one wants to hear a sob story. Suffice it to say that StyleCareers.com was greatly impacted by the Retail Apocalypse and the COVID lockdowns; most companies in our situation would have gone out of business. Now we are dealing with rapidly skyrocketing candidate acquisition costs and increasing labor costs.

**Our plan is to require salary ranges on NYC ads; the fields are already there. However, if this requirement starts hurting our business, we may have to reevaluate. I wish we were in a position where we could refuse business but we aren’t.

Most people in my position would have just said they were going to make the salary range required whether they planned to or not. We like to be transparent and to provide realistic expectations. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like they are modifying this law and pushing back its start date…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-05/nyc-salary-transparency-law-in-question-as-businesses-push-back

It’s really frustrating, but unsurprising, to see the City Council make this law weak to please employers instead of looking out for the average voter.

2 Likes