Is Remote Work Still A Thing?

Any feedback on particular positions in your company that are still fully remote? Or any companies still fully remote? Is Hybrid work taking the place of WFH? Or is everyone back in the office? Curious what’s going on out there!

1 Like

We have moved to hybrid schedule permanently.

1 Like

Hybrid with no reason to be back in the office since almost all employees are in different parts of the US

2 Likes

There are some companies that are hybrid but I’m definitely seeing a shift back to Mondays to Thursday in office, Friday WFH and more slowly coming back to 5 days in office

1 Like

There are still remote jobs as I am currently working for a company that is fully remote. The only downside is that the pay is considerably less than my last job which was hybrid. So I am finding that by offering WFH, employers are fidgeting on salary. I and other colleagues are actually putting in more hours (up to 10 hours some days) and employers see this as a win for them. Granted, I don’t have to sit in two hour traffic each way, but the work is the same and I wish that the pay would not be diminished because our value is still the same. In fact we get more done because we don’t have a commute.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed that the reason employers are accepting remote is for the Savings. They end up getting experienced talent, but are only agreeing to it because they save on salary and in some cases, rent. A lot of people aren’t willing to go back into the office everyday, also.

1 Like

Don’t shoot the messenger BUT, more and more garmentos want to see butts in seats. Remote positions tend to be in Sales, Marketing and math-heavy positions like Buying/Planning/Allocating. The companies that tend to offer the most remote positions are either large corporations or smaller companies.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, sales was one of the first to be back. You need to show samples! Most customers don’t have the imagination or are afraid that they won’t get what the CADs look like.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing mostly hybrid offerings on the jobs I’ve seen lately. Companies in our industry seem to be insisting on that or even fully back in the office though I still think it’s ridiculous for most positions.

That said, I got tired of all the rejections (and ghosting—so tempted to start a site that names names with these abhorrent hiring practices) and recently accepted a new role in a more industrial field. I love fashion so much but apparently 20 years of experience means nothing. With this new job the process was two interviews, one a quick phone screening, one an on-site hour-long panel with three people. In a week and a half I was offered the role. It was so nice! I’m used to upwards of ten interviews spread over 2-3 months and then being ghosted or at most receiving an email from letter rejection. The pay on this new job is great too and it’s primarily WFH.

5 Likes

In our design dept we were back 2 days a week in the office since 2021. Now we have to be 3 days in the office and 2 WFH.

1 Like

As a tech designer, finding ANY job that offers even one WFH day a week is a challenge. My current job offers WFH flexibility to everyone EXCEPT me and one other tech designer (another tech is fully remote and one other tech has flexibility–I definitely inquired about it when I interviewed but was told it was “impossible”). It makes no sense because I sit at my desk and answer emails 90% of the time and measure/fit samples 10% of the time (that percentage split is another topic entirely).

I am in an interview process with a company now that offers hybrid flexibility and will JUMP at the chance to leave this nonsense arrangement. If my current job offered even 1-2 days a week, I would stay (and not even ask for a raise!).

1 Like

I’m Hybrid as a tech designer, 3 days in office, 2 WFH. Honestly, except for fittings and product meetings, I really don’t need to be in the office even that much. Much of what I do is on my computer (with headphones on, because the office can be really distracting when trying to write specs/grading) and measuring.
I don’t ever want to work in an office full time again, and while I get approached by recruiters/companies all the time, if it’s onsite full time, I won’t even consider it. I wish companies would be more accepting that for many people, the flexibility and no commute are key factors in taking a job and staying at it. I’m wayyyy more productive at home- I start my working days earlier, there’s no distractions, I don’t waste time in the office kitchen, meetings are more focused and results-driven, and yes, saving 3 hours a day in the car in a huge benefit. Plus, being treated like an adult who can manage my own workload and execute projects responsibly is key. The butts-in-seats mentality come from places where micromanaging is the company ethos.

3 Likes

I thought getting into an office would help connect, as we were 100% remote. But, we only have to be in one day, and folks literally come that one day.

2 Likes

I am TD at a smaller company, freelance. 3 days in office, Monday and Friday at home for the whole company. It works well.

3 Likes

I woud love to know what field you moved into. I also have been in this business for 25+ years and kindof at a loss on what to transfer into?

2 Likes

Im so sorry, I just saw your response. In addition to materials I’ve done supply chain so my skills easily transfer. I moved to another manufacturing industry but more industrial rather than consumer goods, their products are used in everything from food to aerospace to automotive to medical. I’ve now been there almost a year and I’m very happy. My coworkers are so nice and NORMAL. Not that there isn’t drama but it’s common workplace stuff. Certainly not the shake your head insanity I frequently found in footwear and fashion.

I do have to go into the office more than I thought. Just before my start date the in office time was moved from two days to three by the foreign parent company. I’d rather be at home, as would most people (unless you’re a micromanager or extrovert with an unhappy home life), but my in office days are fine, if a little loud at times. My commute isn’t bad and our schedules are flexible. So I do not plan on going back to fashion, even though I loved it at one time.

1 Like