How do we transition of of the fashion industry after working in it for over 20 years?

For sure transition to roles in graphic design (taking classes), teaching your skills, product development, looking outside of NYC for sure

I know, I have been interviewed 4 times by one very well know school as party of CUNY. I do not know why they bother asking. Every position I was capable of. It is enormously political/clique and I am not so sure I like their methods: Show up, pay your fees you get Ann associates.Actual learning seems irrelevant. I have spent too much time having to teach people on the job what they should know. Said college has a vast digital library which is set up for copying and faking.

It could be hard, but with some sacrifices and work, it is possible. I’ve made 3 successful career transitions after 15 years in the industry. I now run a creative career coaching business that is geared to help fashion professionals transition in or out of the industry. I would love to help anyone interested in working together. Find out more about my story and services at nuphasecreative.com. You can also following me on LinkedIn and IG @nuphascreative.

40 is the life expectancy. Went to university for 4 years, for a 17 year career. I will not deny I did incredibly well very quickly. However when you fall it makes you toxic. With the help of some corporate blacklisting.
I did contract work inn one place and the SVP of sales who I had known for some time told me ’ ******* ****** ’ has nothing. good to say about you. Then it. made sense.
I’d been stuck in a political licensing drain hole. It was 27 years ago but it hurt me for life.

2 Likes

Happens all the time to so many. You can do something at the start of your career, when you don’t understand much and then 20 years later you apply to a job and there is a person in that company, who will give you bad rap. Happened to me a few times.

1 Like

that is so frustrating! I’m sorry you’re going through that. look at LIM, Parsons in NYC. heck, why not just apply to the Costume Institute at the MET museum.

look at Drexel, Jefferson, MADE institute in Philadelphia.

FIDM in LA.

maybe you can work remotely if you’re not from those areas. or make a move!

a transition after 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 years is difficult, but not impossible. what is it worth to you? if you feel like you’re in a slump and won’t have the energy to commit to the transition successfully, I’ve found that actually the difficulty of said transition will give you energy, you will be motivated by its challenge, and pushed to succeed and win over your own self. basically, you can do it.

I would suggest to anyone looking for a transition, is to put together a list of your interests- do a creative writing exercise and write what you love for 5 minutes straight. then look for any patterns. consider careers you were interested in when you were younger, before your current career, or what you’re just generally curious about? it’s called a transition, make it drastic! become an electrician, a teacher, a pilot. it’s not easy, but if it was, everyone would be doing it.

I made a difficult transition into teaching. it’s taking me upwards of several years to become fully certified, and it was and is difficult, but the work and effort is so worth it! it’s worth it to look at my future with hope, with a breath of fresh air, to not be bogged down with anxiety and depression from a toxic work environment, impossible deadlines, constant threat of being fired.

good luck to everyone, and I hope you find what you’re looking for!

p.s. I found it helpful to look at my country’s expected sectors of growth, which I found to be skilled nursing, home health care, physical therapy, and pilots. basically, I tried to be smart and predict fields that would be hiring.

1 Like