Hiring individuals and seeing beyond their resumes

Companies only hire designers that has many years of experience in their niche and never look beyond other people who has a design talent that can probably do the job as well. I am fortunate enough to be hired by some leaders who can see beyond what i have done and given me jobs that i dont have years of experience in. Anyone having this problem? How do you convince them that you can do that job?

1 Like

I have no idea, im in that moment of my career. I have over 10 years experience and recently took a position overseas, upon my return to the states i have not been called for 1 interview in 1 yearā€¦ Recently a recruiter came back to me telling me my overseas experience is confusing and companies may think that im not American and need a visaā€¦ But thats only 1 experience over the course of my careerā€¦ I think its rare to have someone actually read your resume now adays. I think thats what makes changing sectors amongst our industry the hardest. :pensive:

2 Likes

That should actually be an advantage to have worked overseasā€¦ new experiences and new ideas to bring to the table. But companies cannot see beyond anything that is not related to their niche only. Itā€™s sad.

1 Like

@Monsieur you can anticipate this by putting a note at the bottom of your resume that you are already qualified to work in the US. This is common overseas, and it was suggested that I add this when I was looking for work in the U.K. several years ago. Or put a note in your summary like ā€˜US based designerā€¦ā€™

I agree, a lot of companies canā€™t see beyond your last job, and tend to ā€œpigeonholeā€ you into one of the industry, and donā€™t seem able to see beyond the fact that, if you are good, you can design and work in other aspects of the industry as well.

I worked in womenā€™s apparel (full collections of knits, ovens, tops, bottoms, etc) for over 10 years, and then got a job in swimwear. Now I keep getting rejected by jobs/recruiters for anything other than swimwear. I definitely tailor my resume to every job I apply for, and if itā€™s in apparel, then I make sure to emphasize that portion of my job (ie: swimwear also includes coverups and lounge, which IS apparel) but I honestly think Iā€™ll ever get a job NOT in swim now.

It must be very disheartening for people who get into a niche (like bridal, or active) and want to make a change to ever really make the switch.

That being said- do whatever you can to emphasize outside of your niche whenever you can, and if people are confused by your overseas experience, take the location off your resume. If you work at Adidas, no one needs to know immediately that it was Adidas Germany. Once you get the interview and they love you, theyā€™ll realize that your overseas experience is an asset to them!

Resumes need to build a Return-On-Investment analysis for the recruiter/hiring manager. Job seekers need to show their value to potential employers. For people who have experience, it is important to show actual number like, increased sales by x%, had an adoption rate of y%, reduced costs by z%, etcā€¦

The more value you show on your resume, the more likely you are to get the interview.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true because in that case Iā€™ve got over 20 years; often Iā€™m over looked for cheaper entry level designers who have no experience.