Bloodbath at Macy's

I heard that the layoffs happened via Zoom…

They happened over early morning phone calls out of nowhere… some teams had barely previously spoken to their employees since they furloughed them back in March

Stay classy Macy’s, stay classy.

10 Likes

Macy’s is advertising some corporate positions, maybe temporary. It seems like they are trying to get out of paying benefits. Not so nice to lay people off and replace them at the same time.

4 Likes

yes. wonder if it’s an attempt to reduce salaries, also

6 Likes

No doubt they’ll be replaced by freelance, if at all.

1 Like

I worked for Macy’s for 17 years. My Senior Design position was eliminated across the board in February, in the pre-Covid layoffs. Now I keep getting posts for Senior Design positions with Macy’s. I don’t want to go back there, but it’s hurtful to constantly get emails from LinkedIn etc, about these open roles. It’s funny how the company shoved the “people first” stance down your throat while your there, and then go about these blood baths the way they have. Jeff Ginette needs to go.

10 Likes

Yes. My friend was full time corporate at Macy’s. That person was informed of their elimination over a phone call. Not zoom.

1 Like

Let go and then you see new positions? Salary dumps?

4 Likes

seems that have a lot of opportunities for Diversity/Inclusion roles.

Macys has been doing mass layoffs for a long time. Before covid, they have done this to get rid of senior level employees who have been there for too long and brought in new young talent to try and freshen up the design. I’m sure it’s not a shock to anyone that Macy’s business has been struggling. I’m sure that part of the layoff strategy is trying to cut costs on high salaries.

2 Likes

I bet they’re trying to pay less. A lot of companies used covid as an opportunity to fire senior people and replace them with junior lower paid applicants

4 Likes

True I was laid off, and they decided to let go of employees with 10+ years and also In a certain age bracket. I was shocked to see all the Macy’s job positing after the article of them laying off 3900 executives. I guess this is the trend now in this industry same as finance and other large corps.

1 Like

the corporate retail model is toxic and it will come down. There is no doubt about it. New opportunities for creativity and expression will come up, the fashion revolution is in full swing. stay strong, stay creative. The consumer is king and they will determine what is next. Educate them to be responsible, sustainable and appreciative of what is offered to them. the hangtags need to read “No animals nor humans have died to produce this garment”.

4 Likes