Asking for a raise during lockdown?

Hi there! I wanted to see if other designers had experience with asking for a raise during this pandemic? My assistant has asked me for a raise and of course I would love to say yes if the decision was mine - I will have to put it to the HR/CEO. I have been considering asking for myself but I count myself lucky enough to keep my job during this difficult time so am weary of rocking the boat… would love to hear what people think?..

I’m not employed right now but it sounds really risky to me. I think companies are aware of how ‘in demand’ jobs are right now, and they’re probably having financial difficulties too. It sucks for the workers of course but I think it’s not a good time to make management angry.

2 Likes

Asking for a raise right now is a great way to get fired.

3 Likes

I’ve never personally heard of someone getting fired just for asking. It sounds like you could at least explore the option for your assistant and see the reaction. But its good to keep in mind the mood of the company. If others have been fired or there is a hiring freeze, the likelihood is low.

You can always ask for more PTO or other benefits, like more flexible hours or something. Or ask for something for your assistant at least, like upgraded office equipment, chair, computer, etc.

It all depends on your boss, and how the company is doing, and your relationship with your boss. Most likely, this is the wrong time to ask for a raise. Sure, go ahead and put in a word for your assistant, but if you’re that type of person to be bold and daring, see if you can also ask about yourself! Be prepared and give them reasons why you deserve a raise during this time where everyone is struggling (including your boss, possibly), and if they say no, they say no. If it sounds like you’re about to get fired, bring that up with them too saying you don’t mean to put them in the same awkward position that you’ve been put in. But at the same time, they might not want to fire you immediately since it takes time to train somebody who has people underneath them. Or, if you are more deserving than your assistant, ask about yourself first, see their reaction, and then see if they’d be open to helping out your assistant with a raise too (or instead of you), to give them options. They might have had a budget in mind already, or been going over numbers the past few months. No way to really give you the best advice…just start a conversation with your boss.

1 Like

Sorry, but it seems pretty obvious that now might be the worst time to ask for a raise, unless you’re some kind of superhero.
But…good luck !

1 Like

We were given a salary cut of 10% in lower ranks and 20 or 15% cut in upper and mid-management around end of April. In September some furloughed employees were restored, some were laid off permanently. All who remained had their salaries restored. But in Spring we just submitted our performance reviews and that usually results in raises. Of course this year it was all put on hold. Now we were told the review process will resume in January, with an expectation of pay raises still on the table, albeit almost a year later.

1 Like

I once told the Senior VP that my assistant deserved a raise and they fired me!
That was in 2016. I think it’s a really bad idea to ask for a raise now. Perhaps, sending some heartwarming thoughts and cookies to your assistant will help.

1 Like

One of my entry-level reports asked for a big promotion a few weeks ago, which wasn’t a possibility, and then asked for a raise instead, which also…wasn’t a possibility. On one hand, I did marvel the gumption (like some in this thread, it’s not something I would have done), but it also felt a little tone-deaf to the salary/position cuts that have happened. Two roles have been absorbed into me personally, I wish someone would give me a raise!

1 Like

Hi! thank you for the advice! I think this is the best option at this stage, sounds like a good plan! Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I think opening the conversation and judging the mood of the company is a good start and I will see where it leads. thank you!

1 Like