Applying for jobs in FL, terrified of recent legislation

Not quite sure where to put this, but I was hoping for some opinions:

I’m trying to find a job, and I’m noticing some great listings that I’d be perfect for.

…except they’re in Florida, and I’m queer.

Should I still apply? Is there a polite way to ask ‘hey I really want this job but I’m worried about my safety. Can I go remote?’ There’s also the risk of outing myself and realizing the company is more conservative politically.

I never talk politics at the office and have predominantly worked in NYC, so this hasn’t been a problem. A lot of these companies have the equal-opportunity disclaimer on their listings, but I’ve never trusted it.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I live part time in Florida and I don’t think you have any issue applying for a job and living there.

The recent legislation is being sensationalized by the media. Basically, Florida is just trying to keep adult themed subjects out of elementary and middle schools. Most reasonable people agree that 3rd, 4th and 5th graders don’t need sex-instruction books (straight, gay or otherwise) in their school libraries.

My house is in the panhandle of Florida (panhandle = redneck) and our community very gay-friendly.

4 Likes

I lived there for 6 years under this administration. It wasn’t as extreme, but it wasn’t good. What I will say is if the job and climate (heat and humidity) are of interest and you don’t have kids, you might not feel too much of the effects. However, if you are typically highly involved in the community including interacting with institutions that are directly affected (like education), then you will feel it.

1 Like

I live in Florida - have you seen and/or examined any specific/exact legislation you are referring to?

2 Likes