Starting a new job during COVID

I am one of the fortunate folks who got a new job during covid after being laid off in May due to the pandemic. I start my new job soon. However, the company wants me to come in for the 1st day to the office (I’m not sure if we’re supposed to be in office every day after that but I fear we are). We are located in the socal area and I take public transportation to work. I am extremely anxious as a result - there’s a pandemic and I certainly don’t want to put my health (or my family’s) in jeopardy.

Is there something I should / can say to my boss?

1 Like

@selenster

First of all, CONGRATS on getting a new job, especially when there are so many qualified people within the industry looking for work…you jumped a major hurdle!

Before having a conversation with your boss, you should actually show up to the office on the start date so that you actually can see how things are set up. Between the fact that this company could have laid off some of their staff, maybe their office already had plenty of room for employees to social distance, and perhaps some employees from either your department and or other departments are currently working from home that you just simply aren’t aware of…I would wait until you actually see if there’s something that doesn’t sit right with you…that way you can accurately discuss it with your supervisor or the owner of the company…and because you would have observed it, you have a legitimate reason/evidence to bring it up.

While the employer should absolutely provide hand sanitizer, masks, and plenty of soap in the bathroom and kitchen/break room area…me being the person I am would bring a few disposable masks, sanitizer, and maybe even a roll of paper towels, box of Kleenex, and disenfectant cloths to have by my desk…but then again, I’ve always have been the type to have a private stash of stuff like this at my desk, even pre-Covid-19.

I’m also wondering because you’re new, is the plan to have you report to the office to train you or get you up to speed as to what’s going on in your department and then allow you to work from home once you’re acclimated…or perhaps your department will alternate what days people report to the office?

1 Like

thank you - this is great and sane advice w/o jumping to immediate FREAKOUT mode (which i am prone to doing). i appreciate your advice. it’s a wait & see how this goes situation.

thanks again!!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! Very weird this wasn’t explained to you beforehand. I too will be starting a new position soon. I was told they are working 3 days in office and 2 days home. But I would need to come in office for my whole 2 weeks training. I had 3 interviews and I did ask in my 1st one what their working situation was. I also asked what my desk setup would be (a cubicle or open air, how spaced out are ppl), which I normally wouldn’t ask but ya know with Covid I think it’s a valid question. You should have asked during the interview process. If they don’t want people asking those kinds of questions idk if that’s a place you want to say at long term.

2 Likes

Congrats back at you!!

I did ask the hiring manager (my future boss) and she said they were working from home during the pandemic, but maybe since it’s my 1st day it’s easier to onboard everyone in person? i’ll be sure to clarify on day one because i sure as heck don’t want to take public transportation every day to a job that isn’t essential (WHAT? CLOTHES AREN’T ESSENTIAL?!?! LOL).

2 Likes

My company has had new hires come in for their first day to onboard with HR (walk thru paperwork, etc) and to pick up a laptop if applicable. After they’re done with that, it’s up to the individual manager or dept what the new hire does - depts that physically can’t work from home get set up at their office desk. Otherwise I assume they’d head home to continue from there.

1 Like

Thank you for your input - this is pretty much close to what happened and my manager and I discussed the situation and I’m in a much more comfortable situation now, whew :slight_smile:

1 Like