Recruiters? Linkedin? Stylecareers? Which has been the most effective?

That’s very odd. Did they complete their associates? They should know how to do that. I would contact the head of the textile department about that…it’s 2020.

There is a decline in students going into textile programs and a shift into design tech majors. UX/UI, SEO, web design, etc., are the new focus because there are opportunities in this area. And, with the industry in decline, there’s no reason to focus on textiles.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea it was declining so rapidly… That explains it!

There are 3 major reasons you see agency ads and not direct employer postings.

First, a lot of companies are dumping payroll. Basically, getting rid of the high-cost experienced workers and replacing them with less experienced, cheaper talent. Agencies get a lot of these positions so that fired employees don’t see their old jobs advertised online.

Second, companies that are going through layoffs may still have labor needs in other areas. Ecommerce, for example, is where a lot of companies fall short and when stores aren’t open, a lot more important. Agency recruiters are able to help fill these positions without showing everyone who got laid off, that they are hiring.

Third, agencies are pipelining talent so that when their requisitions open-up, they have really good resumes to send to their customers immediately. Unfortunately, with the lack of guidence from local governments and the stops and starts of store openings, the pipeline recruiting gets drawn out.

5 Likes

Very shady… If everybody was transparent about their status, their failures, and their cries for help, they’d gain my respect. I wouldn’t want to work at a company that wants to hide their downfalls or to cheat older, hardworking people out of a job just for saving their own butts to get themselves higher paychecks, to hire young inexperienced talent. I like clarity of what a job really is, inside and out. Unfortunately, business owners want to make everything a big secret. So that is why we see so many horrifying stories.

I am neither young nor old in the business, so this is very concerning. Who would want to hire someone mid-level when they can just hire someone younger? Or who would want to keep someone mid-level unless they’re paying them super low and then try and use emotional manipulation to make up for the lack of pay? Agencies are not transparent either about what company they are sending your resume out to. Recruiters lie straight to your face, and then I find out in a forum like this, how recruiters really work. So it’s very negative to use agencies and recruiters. The way they present you to a real employer could ruin your relationship with your new boss, since you are never aware of how much they re-write your resume and how much fluff they tell the employers that just isn’t true.

I see the benefits for the employers, but for the job applicant…a nightmare.

2 Likes

Yeah, it sucks. This whole thing sucks.

3 Likes

Agreed. I sure hope that throwing myself into these recruiters and agencies, isn’t a waste of time where they really are just “collecting resumes.” I would still expect us all to use recruiters and agencies (since that’s all that’s available these days), but just don’t get your hopes up! Good luck everyone!

The irony is that if If the textile/fashion industry valued talent, hired and rewarded and retained people, the situation would be entirely different. Companies save money when there is low turnover. Skilled, loyal employees add value to the bottom line. When a company loses talent to a competitor they lose market share. The tech industry holds onto people, trains them, rewards them, and benefits financially. Bad managers also cost a company.

5 Likes

LinkedIn, LinkedIn, LinkedIn. It’s an incredible tool to connect with people, getting found by recruiters and do serious networking. You see also career moves, who went where, what your connections are up to, etc…there is so much you can do with it, besides applying for jobs or following your favorite companies. I would really invest in a great profile and networking over LinkedIn. Try the Premium too, I believe first trial month is free.
It’s been an incredible tool for me so far, especially during this time where recruiters receive thousands of resumes for every opening and you must go beyond the simple online job application.
All other job boards are okay, I never got much attention when I applied through StyleCareers, BOF, or others.

1 Like

Im FIT alum as well. Im surprised they wouldn’t know basics such as creating repeats, etc. Thats disappointing. Thank you for your reply.

You are 100% correct about LinkedIn’s algorithm. It puts all Designers into a broad category. It is annoying.

2 Likes

I’m glad that your explained the keyword box. I spoke to an HR friend and she suggested copying and pasting the job description on the last page of your resume. Meaning if you have 2 page resume you paste on the 3rd page. Then white it out just like you explained. It will pull your resume because it has the key words to get you pass the ATS. I asked about the 3rd page. She explained the the 3rd page would be blank and they just reuse or throw away the 3rd page. I would like to know if you have had any success using the keyword box?

1 Like

dont do that. it os very easily found and you will be out of the running before you hear the gun.

1 Like

Have you heard of this or has someone you know done this? I just wanted to know more background.

Thanks

its been debunked by many career coaches. its not a good idea. it shows a lack of initiative and creativity as well, IMO

1 Like

Great thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the information…appreciate it!!!

I want to share an experience I had this morning. Yesterday on LinkedIn I saw a posting by an agency recruiter that she had multiple new job openings in a particular geographic area. I sent my resume and scheduled a call with her. In actuality, she has no job openings. Her post was an outright lie. A friend who is also in need of a job had the same experience on Wed. This behavior is unprofessional and unethical. Both myself and my friend were bitterly disappointed that no actual opportunities exist. How inconsiderate and downright mean to get someone’s hopes up, especially with the current state of unemployment in the country. Add this to the long list of negative experiences I have had with recruiters and why I simply don’t trust them.

4 Likes

Thats so wrong. Shame on them. Would you mind sharing who it was?

The agency was Iris Recruiting.

1 Like