Life after fashion

@CatDogMom very strong message, thank you.

1 Like

FIT is part of the SUNY System, so if you’re looking to work there https://www.suny.edu/careers/ is where you go.

Having a story as to why you want to switch industries is SO TRUE. I now work at an interior design room as a project manager. I basically I wanted to work on projects “more holistically” and compared my tech design experience to the project manager position.

4 Likes

@fashionrefugee

I agree with you. Your “story” as to why you want to switch industries should be based upon the particular transferable skills that you can apply to the job you are interviewing for.

As a merchandising/PD person, I love researching and creating something while interacting with stakeholders within and outside of my actual company. I fully enjoy the “relationship building” with the overseas vendors. As much as I love fashion…if I came across a role that allowed me to use these exact skills and if it was for a product or service that I found interesting, I would definitely consider leaving the industry.

2 Likes

With what you mentioned above, you absolutely can find a role that matches your interests. My job now is 100% a stepping stone. I spent a few years exploring grad schools and networking to find what I really wanted to do and where my professional values lie. It’s a long story but I didn’t choose to get into interiors; the opportunity felt like a natural progression and I’m learning new hard and soft skills that aren’t in tech design. I now have a clearer path as to where I want to go and after all the PTSD and abuse I endured in fashion, I have regained so much personal confidence in myself because I know I can successfully transition into a new industry.

As a 60+ woman I’ve been wardrobing men for 13 years! It’s the best gig I’ve ever had. I rep a line where I work my own hours, have my own clientele and work as much as I want to. Virtual or in person it’s been a blessing! If you have an interest, I’d like to expand this business in other areas!! Great supplemental income- in fashion!

5 Likes

Hi, wondering how much you can make doing this as supplemental income?

1 Like

@MensStyle

So is it a job that’s straight commission? Is it J. Hilburn (I think that’s the name). They provide custom-made men’s clothing. I think I read they are filing for bankruptcy?

For someone like me who is single and living in NYC, I personally would prefer not to work at a company where I am straight commission. A job that’s straight commission and would allow flexible hours would be ideal for someone who was of a particular economic status (such as having a spouse who makes a healthy 6-figure salary…Or someone who has a substantial nest egg or financial assets) where you didn’t totally depend on the income you were making, which I’m sure fluctuates. That also sounds like a perfect position for a woman who is married with children.

I’m also wondering how the menswear custom clothing industry will be impacted within the next few years…considering many have either lost their jobs, experienced pay cuts, or now have the luxury of working from home. Since the clothing leans expensive, I feel like in order to be successful, you would have to have to know a substantial amount of men who are upper-middle class to wealthy who would make enough continuous purchases to make a decent salary, particularly in the $75K to $100K range…maybe I’m wrong??

I am looking to become an independent multi line sales rep. Are there any suggestions on brands, where to find brands looking? I have some ideas of where I want to start, but would love to hear from anyone who has done or worked with some great independent reps.
Thank you

Yes-this is with JHilburn, commission + bonuses. Our chapter 11 lasted 30 days and we are operating at full capacity with more growth opportunity. The menswear business is the one bright spot in apparel right now. An Investment Banker in New York told me that she spoke with three menswear CEO’s last week and they each told her that their business is up vs 2019. One said, “menswear is on fire.” At J.Hilburn, our sales have improved by 30% in the last week since we launched our Fall Collection. The supplemental income is directly related to your network of men and how you drive your business. Training, and constant support is available to help build your business virtually and in person. Commission of up to 25% a month is based on sales of $8000 and above. Happy to have a conversation and answer more questions!

Your business is directly related to your network of men and how much you want to make. I train new stylists to earn 25% based on sales of $8000 or more. You can earn more or less depending on your network! Training and constant support is available to help you grow your business! Happy to have a conversation to answer more questions!

Doesn’t JHilburn require an investment from the stylists to get started?

Cannabis is rapidly growing into other markets like skincare, beverages and wellness, it would be an interesting move.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I can’t believe she doesn’t know who DVF is!

1 Like

I agree, I think cannibis will be big as it becomes more mainstream.

2 Likes

I am 50, and still working in fashion. I have found that trying to find work (remote or in-house) with small, up and coming companies has seemed to offer some promise. They seem to value experience more than youth/ image. You may want to reposition yourself as “an expert”, and contract your services to these new businesses showing up. A lot of them may need help on how to make themselves more attractive to a buyer, how much should buy per style, etc. You have to research and conduct a skill inventory on yourself so you know how to market yourself. I found an interesting course on Foundr.com about Getting a Side Hustle - maybe that is something for you to check out

3 Likes

I’m 58 and left the Industry in 2018. I thought my last job would carry me through to retirement. My boss was my age and respected me and trusted me. That’s why I took the job. I was also told upon hiring that the company was stable. I was lied to about what my team would consist of unfortunately. My first day of work my new co-worker that I shared an office with greeted me with “you stole my job, it should have been mine, they fired my friend without warning!!” It was downhill from there. Layoffs and firings for the next two years and then my boss was fired and new management brought in.
I decided to try jobs working with people I really liked being around and managers that were mature and respectful. Although the pay was low and I had to work many hours to pay the rent I was very happy not being yelled at and abused every day.
I did loads of background acting, a great gig at Sothebys as a coat room attendant, Alcohol brand ambassador, as well as being a companion to Seniors. Because of Covid, all these jobs are gone and I have left NYC all together as of Sunday. I love teaching and there is always room for that no matter your age. While working in fashion, I was always working on obtaining other skills. I have multiple certifications in the arts and sports. My friends who left the industry did transition to Real Estate.

4 Likes

Real estate seems to be the most popular route!

That’s a good idea, small business seem great after years in corporate, but it seems to be touch and go In finding the right fit.

Hi,

The investment of $500 for JHilburn stylists is for purchasing swatches and online training. A very minimal investment little to start your own business. PURL, support and continuous training are all part of your investment.

Happy to answer more questions!