Homophobia & Transphobia; discrimination in hiring and wrongful termination

I am afraid of retaliation, even in this forum, but Shinola’s top execs are severely homophobic and transphobic. A system of approvals was created in hiring to ensure that no one “too flamboyant” was brought on board because it “made the executives uncomfortable” and was “not on brand.” The saddest part about this practice was that a top executive who identified as a gay man was the main perpetrator and enforcer of this policy. This was done to convey to the straight and cis gender hiring managers that this discrimination was ok because it was being done by a gay man. During my employment, a colleague pulled myself and another coworker aside and told us that they were transgender and wanted to come out at work but did not know how to do so. Although we all worked in different departments, we loved our coworker and created a safe space for them to be supported. After they sent a very professional email to their leadership and department coworkers, executives immediately contacted me (as one of the most senior members of my work site) demanding I assist in the firing of this employee, despite the fact that I was not even in the same department, let alone did they report to me. I expressed my support for my colleague and pointed out that I could not terminate anyone outside of my department but executives continued to tell me “they need to go.” Shortly after, a new executive was hired and I was assigned to their team as a direct report. On our first business trip together, my new boss leaned over while we were in a car together and said “I think you’ll get a kick out of this” and showed me an animated image of a naked person with their breasts and penis exposed, animated in a way that mocked their body. I was in shock and froze in fear, I had no idea what to do. My new boss then began to call me regularly, asking if “it (referring to my transgender coworker) was still there” At times contacting me with an HR representative so I knew that HR was not a place to turn for help. My transgender coworker was sent on a business trip and when their boss saw them for the first time presenting as their true gender, he complained to the executives that their appearance distracted him from being able to work efficiently and this story became a topic of discussion amongst all senior leadership. By this time I had made it clear I was an ally to my coworker and had let them know they were likely going to lose their job. I was then made aware that a senior executive was flying in to our work site to let the employee go, so I told them and they resigned. I resigned shortly after. There was also ageism, I was once told to fire a gay male employee because of his age and “not involve HR” which I refused to do and reported although no repercussions came to my boss. I am ashamed that I did not do more for my coworker. I have since left the industry and will never return as I can not be a part of a system that discriminates and can no longer put my trust in any profitable organization. If anyone knows what can be done in a situation like this, I would love to start a dialogue to hopefully help others.

1 Like

As a gay man I do not support these executives at all. Wonder if they’ve been doing what Calvin Klein has done with all those models going to his apartment in the city…

1 Like

You and the other person could definitely sue for discrimination.

1 Like

This makes so sad. So sad and angry. And of course these stories run rampant across small and large companies if there is not true equality, understanding for humankind and seeing intelligence, hard work and character before gender, race, religion, etc.
How will this change? The people. You! Me! Us. We. Voting. And documenting. People who behave this way in the work place need to be sussed out. How you believe privately is up to you. @grandpoobah Not sure if we’re global here??? But, certainly speaking to the US? That is fundamentally the beauty of America. However, never okay to bring those POVs to the work place. I hate it. In my bones, it makes me sad, angry, ache for the stupidity, ignorance and unjust. 100%
But, there is law. Again, why America rocks. And already is great.
So best to document document document. Keep a log. Record meetings (those recordings can’t be used in a formal case but helps any prosecutor along when negotiating with an employer and yep, social media and the media is a love - hate… that’s why.) Keep emails. All of it. It is the only way to get past the s/he/them said s/he/them said. Sending so much love and light to you! There is a world of beauty, love, hope, good people professionally and it’s only going to get better. But never be naive and never settle for hate and vulgarity at this level. Even it means just taking it in for a little bit to get your ducks in row… watch Bombshell! It will forever inspire and validate.

1 Like