Being on commission during the pandemic

Hi,
This is my first post. I’ve got a lot on my mind today. I received the invite in the middle of a mental breakdown due to not being able to pay rent this month. I live in the Bay Area on my own and pay over $2k a month for my apartment. Last year I made over $90k from my retail sales job, so I did ok for myself and was able to afford the high rent. At the beginning of the year my job was terminated due to mental health discrimination(that’s a whole other story) and I was quickly hired at another company who was excited to have my extensive retail experience be part of their team. My new job has great earning potential for people that know how to sell, 8% commission is pretty decent so I figured I’d be able to stay in the $60k-$90k earnings bracket. Then the pandemic hit. The store has been empty for weeks. My paychecks have been $400/week because I’m only making hourly. There is no one to sell to. Today I got a three day notice to pay rent or lose my apartment, I’m $1500 short on rent. What the hell am I supposed to do to survive when my earnings are reliant on sales? I’ve been spending my time in the empty store trying to network with new clients through social media, posting products for sale, desperate to sell anything to anyone. But it’s not enough. I’m not making it. What can I do? What can WE do? I know I’m not the only one going through this right now. I want to go protest for lower living costs or liveable wages. I’m about ready to start a revolution or give up and put a gun to my head. One of the two. :fist:t2:

1 Like

Well, don’t put a gun to your head.

Are you eligible for unemployment? With the state benefit and the federal kick in (soon to be renewed), that comes out to about $50K a year in most states. Maybe more in California?

Thank you!
Sorry for being dramatic, 20+ years of retail has made me a bit dark. :joy::woman_shrugging:t3:
I applied for UI today, so now I get to wait to see if they will approve it. I was just discussing with a friend that they should change hourly VS commission jobs to hourly plus commission. Wonder if that could be a thing. I am selling a little, I just don’t get commission if it’s less than my hourly.

2 Likes

Retail slave, My heart goes out to you. Although it’s not much consolation, please know that you are not alone. Millions of people in this country are suffering. Without going into detail, I will tell you I am one of them. I had to spend the last of my savings and move back to my hometown to live with a family member. I also suffer from major depressive disorder, so I understand what you are going through. Just do the best that you can each day. And reach out to the people in your life who care about you. I wish you well.

2 Likes

Well ,There’s always options in life. Think if there’s another hobby or craft,that you could do. Go for a walk,and let your mind wander away from the desperation. Ive been self employed in Nyc for my entire career,and am aware of the hustle it takes to survive. Unfold a new chapter,and,pursue something more organic and fresh. It’s the only way,cuz you cannot expect others to be responsible for your life. Believe.

If your job has been affected by COVID-19 you would be eligible for unemployment benefits - as many people have been. If you had your hours cut from full-time to part-time, you may be able to get part-time unemployment benefits. Also go online and see what your tenant rights are for the bay area.